Possible first sale of pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Folks I have my first opportunity to maybe sell some of my pens. :eusa_danc (maybe I can actually justify the money to my wife now?) :-D

My company is interested in buying some of my pens for "Executive" or "Star Performer" gifts.

Does anyone have some rough ideas on making a matching wooden case for the pens. This looks fairly simple. A block of wood, a few barrel hinges and a router bit to route out the slot for the pen to sit. Anybody got any ideas of the size of the slot?

I have to bring some samples to a meeting in a few weeks and want to try make at least one case.

Thanks,
Ebarr

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A 5/8" core box bit works great for Slims & Euros, I am not sure of what to use for the larger barreled pens, except a larger bit.
You can buy very nice cases through Woodcraft and other retailers at much less than you could make them yourself, BTDT :BangHead:
I made this case and another
Copy_of_New_photo_booth_004.jpg

It took me most of an afternoon to joint, plane, rip, cross-cut, set-up router table, machine, and drill for the hinges. Then the next day was spent applying the finish....WC sells them for around $5 :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Dave:)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
DaveO...i know I've seen that pic before, but I still love the design on that set. you did a great job.

Chris

frankson

New User
Jeff
If memory serves me, Penn State sells the maple pen box (single slot) for about $3.50 each. We sold a number of them over the holidays at Kids Making It...popular for presentation purposes or gift. (note: most folks buying pens for themselves had NO interest in the box).

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
The finish on the purchased boxes suck but unless you get paid for your time to make them it is still better to buy them than to make them.
I have made a presentation box and got paid equal the amount of the pen and got paid extra for my zebra wood pen boxes but I would rather make pens than boxes.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Because they want to use these as awards. I first thought was to make a box the size of a double pen box, however route only the back slot. Leave the box alone where the front slot would go. Then they could make a small engraved plate with the award name, date and the individuals name to place inside the box. We also have small lapel pens that are part of the program that individuals wear on their name badge that match some of the programs. I could cut the nail part off the back and glue on the top of the box as part of the presentation.

I want to make a prototype box and see what they think.

frankson

New User
Jeff
We had a client that ordered pens, with maple gift box (Penn State).

The client wanted their logo on the boxes. So, we found a place in town that burned-in the logo...looks real cool.

Only negative, the local engraver is the only one in town and he charged accordingly (i.e. 1-time art set-up fee of $40, a $10 handling fee plus the standard $10 fee to do the work. Repeat orders will cost $10 handling plus $10 fee per box...unless we order more than 10 at a time.

JRD

New User
Jim
Wayne,

I'm right there with Dave on this one. Virtually all the pen or pencil sets I've sold I use a wooden box with.....

The boxes at Woodcrafters are great, and the price is right if you consider the time you'd spend making a box. About the only time I could justify making the box too would be if it were a gift for a very special person.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS