Poppy Table Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren46

New User
Warren
Not so many pictures this time. After cutting out the top I spent some time with rasps and files cleaning up the edges.

Ed,

I wimped out about carving the self and top. Instead I got a 1/8 In radius veining bit for my router and outlined the poppies freehand with the router. It is not carved but I still think it looks OK.
IMG_1028.jpg

I tried a couple of approaches to finish. I think I will end up with boiled linseed oil finished with a clear top coat. The piece of scrap in the picture below shows the honey tones it gives to the maple.

IMG_1029.jpg

After veining the top I had to dry fit the leg structure and put the top on to see what it will look like.

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

Next is a lot of sanding. I expect to apply the linseed oil before I glue up the table. The top coat will be applied after assembly.

The end is in sight but I will be out of town for a week so it will need to wait until next week.

Warren

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The veining on the top came out nice. I never trust myself not to slip w/ a hand held router. :gar-Bi

I just tried something new (to me, at least) when finishing a shop project. I mixed a small amount of an oil stain w/ BLO and some thinner to give a slight tone to the piece. I applied it just like you would BLO. Looks like it came out pretty well. Just FYI.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors