Poppy Table Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren46

New User
Warren
Not so many pictures this time. After cutting out the top I spent some time with rasps and files cleaning up the edges.

Ed,

I wimped out about carving the self and top. Instead I got a 1/8 In radius veining bit for my router and outlined the poppies freehand with the router. It is not carved but I still think it looks OK.
IMG_1028.jpg

I tried a couple of approaches to finish. I think I will end up with boiled linseed oil finished with a clear top coat. The piece of scrap in the picture below shows the honey tones it gives to the maple.

IMG_1029.jpg

After veining the top I had to dry fit the leg structure and put the top on to see what it will look like.

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

Next is a lot of sanding. I expect to apply the linseed oil before I glue up the table. The top coat will be applied after assembly.

The end is in sight but I will be out of town for a week so it will need to wait until next week.

Warren

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The veining on the top came out nice. I never trust myself not to slip w/ a hand held router. :gar-Bi

I just tried something new (to me, at least) when finishing a shop project. I mixed a small amount of an oil stain w/ BLO and some thinner to give a slight tone to the piece. I applied it just like you would BLO. Looks like it came out pretty well. Just FYI.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS