Picked up a drum sander thanks to Bruce (Junquecol)!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks to a tip from Bruce, I was able to purchase a drum sander from Cary Pawn today. It was a good enough deal that the CFO gave in! :-D

As an added bonus, I got to meet another North Carolina Woodworker member, Kevin (Turtlewood), while browsing around. I didn't even have to arm wrestle him for the sander. Hopefully, next time we'll have more time to chat.

I need to replace the power switch and receptacle. Besides a few cosmetic blemishes, those are the only two issues that I am aware of. Now I need some bulk sandpaper for this bad boy. Kevin recommended I purchase it from Klingspor's. What size do you guys purchase for these?

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Nice score! My used Performax 16-32 came with some paper already, but I did notice at Klingspor they had precut paper for the machine. And I bet they make their own. The fellow who had mine before me made a jig for cutting the paper to size. So, you must be able to buy rolls of paper in the correct width and just cut the ends to fit. The jig was just a piece of plywood cut to the exact size of the pre-cut paper from Performax and where he wrote instructions on it for the proper cut. I haven't used the jig yet, but figured when I found out which grit I use the most of I would check with Klingspor on roll price. And, yes you deserve a big YOU SUCK!!. Enjoy!

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
Nah... I was just tire kickin' when you showed up. Note that I wasn't looking at the sander when you came in! I'd already moved on. No arm wrestling needed. :-D

Glad to see you got the sander Mike. You seemed to be torn about buying it, so I gave you a wide berth to make up your mind.

I live about 1.5 miles away so I thought I'd take a look when Bruce mentioned that it was like new. At like new, the price was a steal. But it did have some minor issues like Mike mentioned, and it was still a good buy.

-Kevin

sapwood

New User
Roger
Congrats on the snag, Michael!
And if there's a deal out there, eagle-eyed Bruce knows where it is :eusa_clap

YOU SAND!

Roger

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks guys, and very creative Roger!

I was torn partly because I have no experience or prior knowledge of these drum sanders beyond what I have read about and priced in the past. Even though I think it was a deal, it still a decision I can't make without some considerable thought and the blessing of my better half. Fortunately for me, all signs pointed to yes.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Nice score Mike! Remember: A drum sander is the best way to make new friends.

And...

[banana]You Suck![/banana]

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice score Mike! Remember: A drum sander is the best way to make new friends.

And...

[banana]You Suck![/banana]

:widea: Or 2 new friends..... Bas I'll swing over and pick you up. :wwink:

Mike You Suck!

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Thats good Mike. I just bought one also. You can get precut paper at Klingspor and also get the roll paper. I bought one pack of precut and will save it and cut my own in the future. If you have any questions on it I would be happy to help if I can.

Congrats on the new sander

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Cutting the taper on the ends is very easy. I just did it last wekend. Someone gave a big roll of 80 grit paper that was the perfect width, and just needed to be trimmed to length.
Mike I have one, older than yours, if you ever need any help with getting it set up or anything like that.
You're starting to suck as much as Jeremy and Jon.
Dave:)

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
What are fellow NCWW members for, right? Just let me get some dust collection hooked up to it and a bit of paper and we're in business!

Thanks for the offer. I am sure that I will be having some questions as I become familiar with it. Does the paper have to be a certain width? I have some bulk rolls that were my grandfather's from way back, but it's good stuff (80 grit also Dave, :eusa_thin, did I share?)

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
The paper comes about 3 inches wide with tapers on both ends and you roll it on tightly

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks Jon. I have some stuff that I believe is 3" wide but no taper. I have to go to the website and see if I can download a manual and also order the swith.

I'd also be interested to know if the infeed/outfeed tables are worth the investment. Anybody created their own?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have some bulk rolls that were my grandfather's from way back, but it's good stuff (80 grit also Dave, :eusa_thin, did I share?)

That's why I mentioned it. Too bad you didn't know you were getting the sander before you gave away some of your stash :lol: Those rolls you gave me were the perfect size :eusa_danc I also have the manual, I downloaded it, if you have any problems.
Dave:)

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
YES get the infeed and outfeed tables they are worth having, used my 16/32 once and knew then that I wanted the tables. Got them the next week. It isn't worth trying to make them.
dick

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks for the opinion Dick. It looked like everyone went with that option. I'll have to look those up.

Dave, I'm just glad that you could put it to good use. And now I know that I have something to work with on hand. Now to use this newly found info to rationalize the purchase of the infeed/outfeed tables :eusa_shhh:eusa_shhh:eusa_shhh

M

McRabbet

Mike, Great score on the Performax! I've got a 26" Woodmaster that I got used and really love it for sanding panels and face frame pieces. Mine uses 6" wide Hook & Loop paper and even though I bought it with 6 rolls of 80, 100 and 120, I stocked up on some more rolls at Klingspor's Woodworking Shop in Hickory using my NCWoodworker.net 10% discount. I cut my own strips using a good straight edge and a utility knife -- save some $$ that way.

One piece of advice -- be sure that you don't try to take too big a bite or you'll tear the paper off the drum in a heartbeat (DAMHIKT). Once that happens, the paper is shot. I've found that I can sand lots of panels before a strip wears out. I have grits to 180 and finish sand my work with 220 using a RO sander.

DavidF

New User
David
I would only say that unless you really are doing some rough stuff then start with a higher grit than 80 or 100. These leave some pretty hefty scratches that become a pain in the finish sanding. I leave 180 on mine all the time and just take my time - they come out super smooth and clean and I can still take a 32nd off in each pass which is fine with me. Leaves me nothing but a quick rub over with 220 and I'm done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors