Pencil turning

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
Ok, Frustration is setting in and I'm putting the blame all on Cathy because her show at the picnic ignited my desire to do some pens.

My first few pen projects have turned out great but pencils are killing me. For a second time now, I find the brass tubes crushed in from the ends after I've turned them. My first thought is I've just put to much pressure on the tubes when I tighten down the mandrill, but I've not had this happen with pens.

Any ideas?

Jim

clowman

Clay Lowman
How do you tighten the mandrel nut? Also... sometimes, when you are turning, if you get a catch, the nut will tighten just a bit.

JRD

New User
Jim
Yeh,

Pencil bushings for the style pencil I'm trying to make, and I'm just turning the mandril nut to what I'd call "snug", not tight.

clowman

Clay Lowman
How about some pictures of the before you turn and after. I can't think of anything that would make em crush like that. Are you deburring? Doubt that has anything to do with it, but hey, never hurts.

cskipper

Cathy
I can't think of what would be different either. Are you using a new package of tubes? Maybe you got a crappy batch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS