Parallel sine wave inlay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Not quite there yet but I am getting close.
Walnut with cherry, mahogany and maple
Chrome cigar(proud at the nib)
(I'll knock it apart and redo)
There are 6 parallel inlay "stripes"

walnut_parallel_sinewave_012.jpg

walnut_parallel_sinewave_011.jpg

walnut_parallel_sinewave_009.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Awesome Eagle, how many pieces of wood comprise the inlay strips. In other word is the dark wood between the light wood the same as the main blank, and was it part of the inlay?
Dave:)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Interesting design, Eagle! Six stripes...hmmmm :eusa_thin Looking forward to the final pix... Just curious, how many more ideas you have...or how many pens in the future you already have designed...

Chris

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Interesting design, Eagle! Six stripes...hmmmm :eusa_thin Looking forward to the final pix... Just curious, how many more ideas you have...or how many pens in the future you already have designed...

Chris
I flipped the switch on a lathe the first ti,e in June of 04,(fathers day to be exact).
I can trace the beginnings of this particular pen back to 3 months into pen turning. I have learned that easch new design of technique in come up with is an extension of something I have alsready done or seen and adapt to a pen blank.
My pen crafting is an extension of wanting to be a wood butcher for over 30 years.
I work with the same tools that most "garage" woodworkers have.
The sum total of my power tools probably wouldn't make a down payment on a Unisaw( Maybe they would buy a Bessy fence and rails).
I work in a shop small enough that I go outside to change my mind.
Somewhere in there is an 8 inch jointer that takes an act of God, alignment of the planets and a prayer to get access to.
One thing I have lerned though is a bandsaw is about the most useless tool for pen making.I don't know why they are one of the first things most people want to get.A bench top tablesaw can be tweked to be more accurate using a sled and jigs with far less sanding.
A CMS is just about useless also for pen making(far too dangerous though I have used it to make jigs to be used on a tablesaw).
As far as how many designs, I don't know, I have about a 1/2 dozen floating around in my head that are variations on what I have done.
I get a kick when I hear bowl turners say they used to make pens when they were first starting to turn.
I don't believe I have scratched the surface on the amount of designs I can make, there isn't enough time to mess with bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS