Painted Carving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
A couple of weeks ago, I asked for feedback on my first attempt at painting a carving and received some very good advice. Here is what I originally posted:

bird.jpg

It is part of a napkin holder pattern in the latest issue of Woodcarving Illustrated.

I decided to tackle the whole piece. (I need a better camera and setup)

SANY0009.JPG

There are a few things I don't like, and I don't know if I will continue to try painting (I like the look of natural wood too much!), but it was fun to try.

Glennbear

Glenn
I think it turned out great Preston :icon_thum leaving portions unpainted makes it obvious that it was hand carved from real wood as opposed to being cast in synthetic material. :wsmile:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Great job! I also prefer to see the wood grain, but it's difficult to get details with bright colors and/or contrast on a single piece of wood without paint. Nice job with the carving as well.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I prefer natural wood too, but some carvings benefit from paint and I think this one looks great! Nice job:icon_thum

cskipper

Cathy
Great looking project. You could thin your paint so it is more of a wash. That way you would get the benefit of the color, and still see the grain.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Nicely done. Your paint work is very clean, very exact. Skill like that makes Christmas presents a whole lot cheaper...at least in terms of money, not time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors