Pain of Stupidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
I was installing pocket screws to fasten aprons into cabriolet legs of a new French Provincial Desk I'm making when...

I didn't use a clamp. I had just finished attaching the front pair of legs. Now I moved to the rear pair. Since this pair only attaches to one side apron (drawer faces span leg to leg), I "thought" to simply apply pressure with one hand while driving with my other. Starting with the right leg, I held the leg in position with my right hand against the apron, and used my left hand to hold the drill and drive the screw, which was fitted the Kreg 6" square driver attachment. As I applied pressure with both hands, in toward one another, the driver tip slipped off the screw head and traveled at lightening speed directly into my palm (between thumb and forefinger) at a downward tragectory toward the center of the back-side of my hand. Rather than poking clean through, the driver formed a "tent" just below my skin as it tried to poke out. Had it been a drill bit instead, it would have drilled clean through and would have been less tramatic to the site. First thing tomorrow morning, I'm scheduled for surgery at Cape Fear Hospital.

They will open the puncture wound from front and back sides to escavate the driver's path. The driver tip had some Titebond II deposits along with wood dust and misc shop debris. To complicate matters, and making the surgery a necessity and not an option, is that I take a daily blood-thinner and is the cause for the "mound" of blood building up on the backside of my hand where the forementioned "tent" appeared. And as if that doesn't complicate matters enough, I had an strange allergic reaction this past Monday morning and went to Urgent Care where they shot me full with steroids and Benadryl to prevent my immune system from reacting - and so, the need to operate in a controlled environment under anesthesia to prevent infection.

I was soooo looking forward to assembling the desk this morning. I got up early to avoid the heat (no AC in the shop) and just as I was about to "leave for work" (am newly retired, and to NC), I stopped to pray and give thanks - a usual activity - for my home, wife, church... and this time, I made a "strange request" that I work safely in the shop - I NEVER made that one before! Well, wouldn't ya know it! It just goes to show that, at least in this case, even God will not over-ride your stupidity!

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Bob, I'm so sorry to hear about this. Please know that prayers are heading your way for a successful surger and a speedy recovery.

Travis

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, Bob. The good folks at Cape Fear Valley Hospital will take care of you.

You will be in our prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

Dragon

New User
David
EEEEEOOOOOWWWWW!!!!:eek: Man, really sorry to hear about that. I rammed a #2 flat screwdriver into my right thigh several years back and it took 3 stitches to close up but yours beats that hands down. Hope the surgery goes well and same with the healing. Best wishes to you.:icon_thum

JCraig

New User
Jerry
Bob, Prayers being sent that the surgery goes well, and for a complete and rapid recovery.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Bob, thank you for sharing your experience...we all need to be reminded that our shop safety is largely dependent on our own actions. That said, I am so sorry for your situation, please know that you are in our prayers.

Donn

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Sorry to here Bob, good luck tomorrow, Cape Fear is a great hospital. They stabilized my thumb after I had my table saw mishap. My surgeon said they are why I recovered as well as I did. Jim

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear about your injury, Bob. I chewed up 4 fingertips on my table saw once, and I swear, nothing hurts like a hand injury. Not to mention the difficulty I had working on the computer until the bandages came off. I had to hold a pencil in my right hand, w/ the eraser pointed down to mash the keys. :gar-La; I bet it hurt like crazy to tell us about it today, but thank you for sharing it with us.

Bill

jhreed

New User
james
Bob, you faith will carry you through. We may at times do things that are not to our best interest, but HE always has our best interest at heart. I am sure that you will overcome this. Keep the faith and know that our prayers are with you.
James

bwat

New User
Bill
O U C H !!! Hope you have a speedy recovery and thanks for sharing. And thanks for NOT sharing a pic.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ouch!!! Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope there is no permanent damage.

Scwood

New User
BigJoe
I hope everything goes well for you and I wish you a speedy recovery.I feel your pain,I was using a flat tip in my drill while I was taking apart some old furniture when all of a sudden bam!!!!! The drill went in the same spot as yours and left a nice little star pattern hole.I had to get a tetanus shot and because of the shape of the hole stitches wouldn't work.But I learned where not to place my hand when I got a drill in the other.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I'm sorry to hear about your accident Bob. I hope the surgery went well and will be praying for your speedy recovery.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hey Bob,

Sorry to hear about the accident. I'll keep you in my prayers. Here's hoping for a speedy and complete recovery.

Bob Alexander

New User
Bob
Bob, we can do the same thing a thousand times and then something like this happens. Thank God for good doctors. You are in my prayers for a complete recovery.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Hope all goes well Bob - I have had finger tips injured from a shaper and a router - luckly it was just the tips but man did it hurt with all of the nerve endings in the tips of your fingers - you are in my prayers for a quick and painless healing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS