Outdoor Table for the LOML

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
Finally a project finished. I have mentioned before that the loml enjoys feeding and caring for birds, and I mean loves it. She had been setting seeds and water on an old wooden spool that I pulled out of the dumpster at work and painted several years ago. The spool has seen its better days and it was way past time to do something about it, so here is what I came up with.

table_004.jpg

A little better pic of the top.

table_007.jpg

Made from cypress and it is based on a bistro table plan from July 07 issue of Wood Magazine. The top measures 34" by 34" and stands about 32" high. I had to laminate three 3/4" pieces together for the legs. No one close by, ie The Hardwood Store did not have cypress over 8/4, so you do what you have to do to get 4 legs 2 1/2 by 2 1/2. Their pickings for cypress were a little slim that Friday 2 weeks ago, but I did manage to get 4 rift sawn boards with some nice straight grain for the legs. The plans called for the slats in the top to be grove and tenon, but I decided to go with pocket holes, about 200 blue cote screws all total, glued up with titebond III.

At it's final resting place with a very happy LOML

table_008.jpg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The table looks great, Bryan, and your LOML has a big smile: what more can we ask for? :icon_thum

I was interested in your comment about The Hardwood Store not having a good selection of Cypress on hand. I've had the same experience the last two times I went there. The Poplar was really poor, and the Cherry wasn't much better. Tom said they've been having trouble getting good Poplar from their supplier, plus the best stuff get's picked over early in the day (it was late afternoon when I got there). They had some really nice Cherry in boards 10" or wider, but the price jumps quite a bit for those. Has anyone else had similar experience at The Hardwood Store? What about other wood suppliers, are they having trouble getting good stock?

Bill

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Excellent work Bryan. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I really like the design and it looks like the LOYL couldn't be happier. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I was at the Hardwood store last week specifically looking for some birch but would have picked up some cypress and cherry for future projects since it is a bit of a drive for me. Left with nothing. I was very disappointed with the selection for all of it. As someone mentioned, the best pieces were considerably more costly. Not sure what to think. I was there mid-morning.

On the plus side, I have been happy with the plywood I purchase there. I have given up on the Borgs for plywood, what I see is really crap and it is not that much more for good stuff at the HW store.

Bryan S

Bryan
The table looks great, Bryan, and your LOML has a big smile: what more can we ask for? :icon_thum

I was interested in your comment about The Hardwood Store not having a good selection of Cypress on hand. I've had the same experience the last two times I went there. The Poplar was really poor, and the Cherry wasn't much better. Tom said they've been having trouble getting good Poplar from their supplier, plus the best stuff get's picked over early in the day (it was late afternoon when I got there). They had some really nice Cherry in boards 10" or wider, but the price jumps quite a bit for those. Has anyone else had similar experience at The Hardwood Store? What about other wood suppliers, are they having trouble getting good stock?

Bill

I assumed it was mostly due to the day of the week, but I did not ask. They may have had another stack in the warehouse. They have in the past pointed me to and helped me pick through a stack of 8/4 cherry to find the right board.

jhreed

New User
james
My wife loves feeding her birds also. They get fed whether I do or not. Increasing your wife's pleasure with her bird feeding is bound to earn you great dividends.
Excellent work. I know she is proud.
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS