Orbital Sander recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck1999

Chris
User
I am looking at getting a new ROS. I have had a Craftsman but am looking at the Bosch ROS20VSK Anyone have any recommendations on input on this Sander or another similar that may be a better value

Chris

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
i have the dewalt 26451K ros that I like quite a lot. they make a variable speed option although I've never fiddled with that much on other ros's i've had. a nice feature on the dewalt is that w/ an adapter, you can hook it up to a shop vac, although this is a little cumbersome to use. got mine on ebay for about $35.

Sam

bash

New User
bash
I just bought the Bosch ROS20VSK a couple weeks ago and am very satisfied so far. Very comfortable grip and a HUGE upgrade from the Ryobi I have basically worn out over the past few years. Like the Dewalt it has an adaptor for a shop vac, but I haven't used that.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I use the PC 333/334 ROS. I have several. Pick them up at pawn shops, flea market, yard sales, craigs list. Klingspor used to have (and probably still do) a Klingspor branded version of the Bosch.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I don't know the model number but I have a Milwaukee. I bought it based in part on a favorable review I saw somewhere. I am very satisfied. It sands relatively quickly and produces a good finish. It is 5 inch and uses 8 hole hook and loop paper.

Jim

westisthebest

New User
Chad
I have the bosch. I like it but the sanding pad wore out fast. I got a portercable and the pad has lasted much longer. I don't know the normal time before having to replace them, but the bosch was only after a month. And that is what led to the PC purchase, because Lowes and HD don't carry the pads for the bosch(at least at the ones by my house) and I needed one that night. I like the way the bosch works a little better than the PC, but with the stores around not selling parts for it, even though they sell the sander, makes it a pain.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I've got a Bosch 1295DVS, it's a precursor to the model that you're considering. 5 inch hook and loop discs with 8 holes. It does a fine job (1-6 variable speed, but I usually just leave it at 4). It's very comfortable to use without vibrating your hands and arms all the way up to the shoulders. Bought it a few years ago after a very favorable review in Fine Woodworking.

Backing pads, other accessories, and Mirka sanding discs are readily available on-line at Amazon.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
I'm in the market for a new ROS myself (gave my old one to my father last week). Any thoughts on the Ridgid 2601 or the PC 390K? Thanks in advance.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Klingspor used to have (and probably still do) a Klingspor branded version of the Bosch.

Bruce, unfortunately Klingspor doesn't have those any longer. I was told they only had 1500 or 2500 labeled for them and they blew those out last year with prices down as low as 25 or 29 bones. I think JimmyC and maybe some others picked up a few more and have one for each sandpaper grade. They didn't seem to think they were going to be getting any of the new Bosch design ones labeled for them, but that could have changed since I was talking to them about it 3 or so months ago. I picked up one of them at the "normal" $39.95 price when they started reducing them year before last and it's a real good sander. I wish I had gotten another one or two when they reduced them but I didn't realize they weren't going to be getting them any longer. :gar-Cr

Brian.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
The 390K is a nice sander, but it is physically larger than the older PC ROS. This is the low-profile version with the sander brake. Nice feature. And it hooks up nice to my PC vacuum.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The Milwaukee gets a lot of its dust into the dust bag. It also can be hooked to a vacumn although I haven't used it that way (I don't have the right size hose for my shop vacumn). I have a nice old Rockwell Speed Block that has no ability to capture it's dust. I rarely use it because of this. I also have a big DeWalt 6 inch that hardly gets any of its dust into the bag. I've used it connected to my whole house vacumn and it got the dust well.

Long way of saying dust collection is a big deal to me. The Milwaukee is good at this. If the others have a dust port and you have a vacumn to hook up to it, the ability to get most of the dust with a bag may not be a big deal. I wouldn't buy another sander without good dust collection.

Jim

ck1999

Chris
User
Thanks for all the feedback. I have ordered the Milwaukee 6021-21 and we will see how it goes.

thanks again

Chris

joec

joe
User
I bought the Festool 6", forgot the model #, and it is a great tool. I have put aside my Makita and do not know if I will ever use it again after feeling the difference between the two.

decibel

New User
Patrick
I bought the Festool 6", forgot the model #, and it is a great tool. I have put aside my Makita and do not know if I will ever use it again after feeling the difference between the two.

I would have suggested the same as I love mine buuuut I didn't want to get bludgeoned to death for mentioning Festool in a thread asking about value.

Sounds like you picked a nice one in the Milwaukee congrats on the new tool purchase:thumbs_up

jamie

jamie
Senior User
The most valuable tool is the one that you use most. $100 for a sander that you don't use isn't very valuable.

I *love* my 6" festool rotex. If I only had one sander, this would be it. Very good DC, fantastic sander.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors