Opinions on Woodworking Books for Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

williams130

New User
Craig
I would like to buy a woodworking book ( or 2) for my 8 year old son for Christmas and want some opinions from members who have have already been down this road. My son has very little wordworking experience but the other day we made some pegboard games together. Some call them the brain teasers but it's the triangle shaped block with golf tees that are on all the tables at The Cracker Barrell. He used the drill press, belt sander, and the band saw and while he was using the drill press he said "This is so much fun, I could do this all day". :icon_cheers I'm thinking about the book by Richard Starr, "Woodworking with Kids". This seems more like a book for adults to read and then convey information to their children. Jack McKee "Woodshop for Kids" is another one that seems to fall in this catagory. Other books I have found that are written at a level for kids are by Leavitt "Easy carpentry Projects for Children" and Walker, "Carpentry for Childern". These seem to be the kind of book he would like to sit down and read himself without requiring my attention. Any ideas, comments, and stories are welcome!

Thanks

Craig

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
You are right about the books mostly being for adults to read, but if your son is like mine:

PICT0157-1.jpg
Ryan at age 8.

then that is really what he wants anyway. he wants me to do the reading and he wants to do the doing. :)

I found a few simple projects that I can help him with, but I have found that if I can give him something to do that is helping me, like drilling a hole where I really need one on a "real" project I am doing, he likes that far more.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Woodshop 101 For Kids

http://www.woodworkersresource.com/content/featured_product_1/

This is a book that I bought for my son and I to work through. He is always wanting to come out to the shop with me, and "help". Finally he is at an age and maturity that I am ready to actually start doing some of the projects in it with him. I bought it quite a while ago and don't remember if it is written more for the child or the parent but from what I do remember it is all about working with the child in the shop in a SAFE way with hand tools.

Herbie

New User
Herbie
Way to go! getting him interested in wood working,as far as books for kids I personly have never seen any there probly some out there,showing him how to build toys should be good tho.or small kid desk chairs. I would expect he would be interested in anything you would be working on. Just try to keep him interested.:icon_cheers

williams130

New User
Craig
I purchased 2 books: "Zany Wooden Toys That Whiz, Spin, Pop, and Fly: 28 Top-Secret Projects You Can Build from the Toy Inventor's Workshop" by Bob Gilsdorf and "Wordworking with Kids" by Richard Starr. I bought them both from amazon. The one by Starr I purchased used but the seller stated that it was like new. It was $6.72 + $3.99 S&H. Still a fraction of the price for a new one at $34. The other book was $13.57 new. If I don't remember to update you guys on the books after Christmas feel free to email if your interested in how they're received. I appreciate your input and comments.....

sapwood

New User
Roger
Glad you found something:icon_thum
Could this be an under served market?

Hmm, Alex :eusa_doh:
This could be another idea for the college fund :mrgreen:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors