One of the largest pines I have seen..

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulross

New User
Paul
DSCN0221.JPG
This is my first attempt at posting pictures in this forum, so bear with me. Here's a picture of a field pine I felled a couple of years ago on our property. Small end 32" on the big log; recovered 6 12' logs. The tree died because of drought. Coincidently, the ring count also gave a birth year of 1835. For some reason this tree was left standing throughout successive clearcuts. Two more trees of equal size are still alive on our property; both are clear without branching for 50 feet. I'm waiting for another drought or hurricane to take them down.

DSCN0221.JPG

View image in gallery
Here are two more fun pictures. Here's a big Sycamore I took down 2 years ago. It died because its roots were damaged when a land conservation group rerouted a stream nearby, cutting off its water supply. It measured 5 and 1/2 feet in diameter at breast height. Solid as a rock. Sycamore rarely gets this big because it usually rots at the base and dies. This tree was so big I had to eighth the logs rather then quartering them. I recovered 1500 bdft. of 20" wide quartered (actually eighth) sycamore boards from the 4 main logs.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
DSCN0221.JPG
This is my first attempt at posting pictures in this forum, so bear with me. Here's a picture of a field pine I felled a couple of years ago on our property. Small end 32" on the big log; recovered 6 12' logs. The tree died because of drought. Coincidently, the ring count also gave a birth year of 1835. For some reason this tree was left standing throughout successive clearcuts. Two more trees of equal size are still alive on our property; both are clear without branching for 50 feet. I'm waiting for another drought or hurricane to take them down.

DSCN0221.JPG

Here are two more fun pictures. Here's a big Sycamore I took down 2 years ago. It died because its roots were damaged when a land conservation group rerouted a stream nearby, cutting off its water supply. It measured 5 and 1/2 feet in diameter at breast height. Solid as a rock. Sycamore rarely gets this big because it usually rots at the base and dies. This tree was so big I had to eighth the logs rather then quartering them. I recovered 1500 bdft. of 20" wide quartered (actually eighth) sycamore boards from the 4 main logs.​

DSCN0435.JPG

View image in gallery

Bye,​

Paul​

Paul, welcome to NCWW! What a GREAT first post! I'm envious over those wide QS Sycamore boards! Thanks much for the pix too.

When you have a moment, please post a thread introducing yourself.

Regards,

Scott

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Those are some nice trees. There are 3-4 just like that on the corner of our farm that are still kickin' so they get to keep on keepin' on. This Pine was actually from a clearcut in Lincolnton.

Super Sycamore..Got my eyeball on one similar if it starts to look a tad ill.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
My FIL was born in 1922 and he grew up in western NY. When he was a boy he had an older gent for a neighbor who told him that it was not uncommon to see pine trees that scaled 3' at 90 in the air floating down the Erie Canal to a mill. I cannot imagine what they looked like as a standing forest - now that is something I wish I had the privilege to have witnessed.

Hope you have the best of luck with the yield and with the seasoning ...

I grew up in the same area and used to bike along the Erie Canal as a kid. From what I understand there is a fair living still to be made along the Canal as well as some of the great lakes by dive-locating and salvaging some of those logs. Now that's what I call hard core lumbering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS