OMG, Knot another knot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary G

New User
Gary
I built a new miter sled at 55 degrees and tried it with a thinner blade.
I like the higher angle and thinner blade more than the 45 and standard kerf blade.
This is a Gold Artisan Cigar dressed in figured Sapelle with a hard maple 4-ring knot.
The pen is finished with CA, MM, and buffed out with plastic polish.
sapelleMaple55a.jpg

sapelleMaple55c.jpg

Comments and criticism welcome.

Gary

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
"OMG, Knot another knot "
That is exactly what I said when I Saw this very simple overdone missnamed design.
It is friggin X's and O's that take virtually no skill to make.
The strips are too thick and based on the the dark lines in places poor glue joints.
The shape of the pen is corset waisted, a shape overdone by inexperienced turners who try to come up with something beyond a B2B shape that is dicatated by the flow of the fittings.
NIce finish.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
"OMG, Knot another knot "
That is exactly what I said when I Saw this very simple overdone missnamed design.
It is friggin X's and O's that take virtually no skill to make.
The strips are too thick and based on the the dark lines in places poor glue joints.
The shape of the pen is corset waisted, a shape overdone by inexperienced turners who try to come up with something beyond a B2B shape that is dicatated by the flow of the fittings.
NIce finish.

Gary, hopefully, you know not to take Eagle's comments personally. He is direct in his comments, which rub some the wrong way, but is not directed at the person. Please take it as his honest critique on that design.

Eagle - personally, I like that design and think it looks nice. I agree that calling it a knot could be argued, but it is pleasing to me. More importantly, imho, it is not a 'beginner' pen to make. I would argue that there is medium skills needed to have the good execution that Gary has demonstrated. Finally, I also like the shape of that pen. I make my cigar pens two ways, depending on the way I feel that day. One is with a more slender shape and the other is similar to this shape. I like the way the line continues from the nib up into the lower barrel...The line continues off of the nib and does not suddenly change direction. With that, I would hardly call myself an inexperienced turner, but maybe I'm overly confident :rolf:

As always, I do respect your opinion and I am glad that you are willing to share it.

Respectfully,
Chris Mathes

Gary G

New User
Gary
Gary, hopefully, you know not to take Eagle's comments personally. He is direct in his comments, which rub some the wrong way, but is not directed at the person. Please take it as his honest critique on that design.

Chris,
Eagle and I are friends and we talk fairly regularly. I'm not offended --- I got a good hearty laugh when I read his comments. I KNOW he feels this design is overdone for whatever reason. I also know I can count on Eagle to tell me what he thinks directly rather than a simple NPGJ or `blowing smoke up my dress'.

I happen to like the design regardless of what it's called. Yes, once the jig to make it is built, the pen IS simple to make. Still, it's fun and relaxing -- part of why I do this.

As to the shape, I disagree with Eagle -- I prefer a slight roundness to my Cigars and slimlines yet I turn some of both because I also sell my pens and some customers like one, some like the other.

As to the glue joint -- Sapelle is an open grained wood and absorbs lots of whatever you feed it. I glue the strips in with medium viscosity CA and drizzled thin into the kerf before gluing. I also run a bead of med. CA on the bottom edge of the strip that's going into the kerf. That would account for the dark line of CA. But the joinery's pretty tight -- I'd toss the barrel were it not rather than assembling the pen. You can count on that! ;-)

Gary

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Thereis a difference between a slight curve and and a corset or wasp waist.
This is a wasp waist.
Look at Mfgrd pens and see how many have that ridiculous shape.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I'm not trying to emulate manufactured pens...are you? How many manufactured pens have those rediculous waves, bricks, crosses, feathers you put in your pens. Even better, how many manufactured pens are made from wood (or toothpicks for that matter)....lol

I do get your point, but couldn't help myself :)

Cheers,
Chris Mathes

woodArtz

New User
Bob
...I'm not offended...

Whew! Good thing y'all are friends. I don't think I could have handled that barrage from someone I didn't know that well (and maybe even somebody whom I did :lol: ).

Anyway, I think the pen looks great. The CA finish is certainly not one to be attempted by the faint of heart and yours looks excellent. As to the design, I think all of us are constantly experimenting with design and techniques. The significant thing here is that you've found a new set-up that you like. You're having fun and selling some pens... life is good :eusa_danc. Good job! :icon_thum

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
This is the most difficult thing I have seen you post and it was one of your early pens.
I know have exacting the cuts needed to be.THIS is not as simple as it looks.
You have more talents and skills that you are wasting.
Challenge yourself instead of doing BS X's and O's
GoldTNBaronYinYang2.jpg

Gary G

New User
Gary
I just read CHRIS' post to the IAP. I nearly spit coke all over the monitor I was laughing soooo hard. Gawd, that's rich!
Eagle, I understand what you're trying to tell me.
I'm trying to build some stock for the festival that folks will buy.
I don't think every pen can be a top of the line pen.
And, I like the X/0 pen. Would you hate it less if I call it that?!? :lol::lol:

Gary

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I just read CHRIS' post to the IAP. I nearly spit coke all over the monitor I was laughing soooo hard. Gawd, that's rich!
Eagle, I understand what you're trying to tell me.
I'm trying to build some stock for the festival that folks will buy.
I don't think every pen can be a top of the line pen.
And, I like the X/0 pen. Would you hate it less if I call it that?!? :lol::lol:

Gary
JUst call it the BS pen

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
ROTF...that's all I have to say about that...

it's after 5, so I guess I can go have a drink :)

Chris
There's a rumor going around that you don't wait till 5.
Is that 5 am or pm and in what country or just in the middle of the Atlantic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS