Old New Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyK

New User
Grumpy (aka Pete Kasper)
First I guess I should explain the "GrumpyK" name - one morning some 20 years ago, as I was roaming our kitchen, grumbling about the price of tea in China (or some equally irrelevant issue), my daughter handed something to her nephew, our oldest grandson (then a toddler) and told him to give it to "grumpy Grampy". He promptly passed it on to me, saying "Grumpy ... Grumpy", which has stuck - Betty and I are known in the family as "Grammy and Grumpy". When I say "family", I'm referring to the 7 kids we found time to rear while I worked for 30 years for a major telecommunications and systems manufacturer which made me a retirement buyout offer I couldn't refuse in 1991, plus their spouses and our 11 grandkids whom we cheer on in their "payback" endeavors :^)

I started into woodworking as a 'teen back in the 50's with a little Cummins Do-It Shop, a "poor man's Shopsmith", powered by a 1/4 hp drill - lathe, sander, drill press, 4" table saw. I managed to keep my hand in it through 2 college years and 4 Air Force years and all the work and family rearing, at least until the drill burned out in the 80's after Cummins had long since folded its tent and stolen off into the night. Thereupon the kids sprung for a Crapsman tablesaw which sufficed for some good work until I retired and started filling my shop with some real woodworking equipment. With that I've been slowly attacking several hundred board feet of red oak from hurricane Fran in '96 that I had a friend slice up, and mainly designing and building a Hall Tree / Storage Bench from about 100 bd ft of that red oak. Anyway, happy woodworking!:wink_smil

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Grumpy Pete,

Thanks for posting, introducing, and explaining. You already know this is the best woodworking forum anywhere on the net. And I'm glad you're here with us. Any photos of what that red oak turned into?

Ray

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Grumpy, welcome to NCWW. Good choice of name, set expectations low and then surprise people with how friendly you are :) We love to see pictures of your shop, tools, family, projects, lumber-in-storage, grumpy faces etc, so don't forget to post those!

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome Grumpy!! This is a great site to share your experiences with.
Sounds like a great family and you should take great pride in the fact YOU caused it all:rolf:.
Jump in any time...the water's fine!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Welcome Pete,

You are in a good place (Raleigh and NCWW) and with good people. Feel free to add, or join on, any posts. We welcome your thoughts. Hope fully you can make the NCWW picnic on May 17th @ Jordan Lake, and you can meet some of us (it will be my first time).

See you then,

Jimmy:)

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Welcome Grumpy! I haven't had any kids yet and I'm at the stage of gathering cheap starter tools. Looking forward to learning from your years of wisdom and experience. Maybe one day I'll get a moniker like yours. I have a tendency to go off about different topics to nobody in particular around the house. :argue:.

Will

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome Pete!!!

It is starting to look like a lot of retired telecommunications folks are settling into woodworking as the key hobby for keeping us older folks out of trouble during the day!!!:wsmile: (I too am a retired telecom jock!)

So glad that you decided to join our merry band of sawdusters and look forward to learning plenty from all your woodworking experiences.

Enjoy and please don;t forget to post some pictures of your work!

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Re-welcome to NCWWer Pete!
Enjoyed the intro and look forward to future posts :icon_thum

Roger (another retiree :mrgreen:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Pete, it's great to have you with us. My daughter calls my FIL "Campa" and MIL "Gamma", as she has a little trouble pronouncing a few letters. I bet that's gonna stick to. Kids say the darnedest things.
I look forward to your input in the forums and hopefully seeing some pictures of your work.
Dave:)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Don't let Pete fool ya. He has been a member of TWA since, well almost forever. Welcome over here Pete. Could you post a picture of the repairs my neighbor did on your hollow chisel mortiser? I can't, but am very proud of the work he did to get you back in business. Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS