Old Cherry finish question??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am fixin' to make a stereo cabinet for my folks. I gave them the options of the wood that I have available. They chose Cherry if it would look like a mantel my step-grandfather (my G-ma remarried so I guess that's what you would call him) made for them probably 20 years ago. My Dad thought I might have to stain it. My step-G-pa was a fine woodworker, but very simple. I highly doubt he would go through the effort to stain Cherry. I am sure that the Cherry in this mantle has darkened over time as Cherry will do. But I want to be sure if I tell them my stereo cabinet doesn't need to be stained dark that it will age to match.
Here are a few pictures sent to me by my Mom, hopefully they will give you an idea of how this piece might have been finished...stain or no stain.

Cherry_finish_example_1.jpg

Cherry_finish_example_2.jpg

The finish I have in mind is an amber shellac, top coated with WaterLox Original S/F or Gloss.

Any thoughts?????

TIA,
Dave:)

SRhody

New User
Stacey
I found out that if cherry is left in the sun it darkens rather quickly. DAMHIKT You might be able to use this to your advantage prior to sealing and finishing.

My devalued .02 worth.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Dave,
I've had very good success in speed aging cherry by applying a mix of 2/3 BLO and 1/3 spar varnish and then setting the piece in the sun for a week or so. You'd be surprised how dark it will get in just a few days when exposed to direct sun. You could do a test piece and compare it with the color of the mantel and see if you get the same color.
Also, I've had good luck with using transtint dye to tint shellac to match colors. Just make sure to use dewaxed shellac so there's no problem with your top coat.
Rob

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Being 20 years difference in the two pieces there will always be some difference in color. You need to let them know that. Sunning will help, dyes, stains and such may get it closer in the short term but will make drastic differences later on.

Make it the best you can and let time add to its beauty.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sunning will help, dyes, stains and such may get it closer in the short term but will make drastic differences later on.

Make it the best you can and let time add to its beauty.

Mike that's my problem. If I artificially darken it with a dye or stain will the natural darkening process then make it much darker????
I was looking at a few Cherry pieces I have around the house finish with either oil, shellac or lacquer and they have all darkened to a similar color as the mantle picture in only a few short years.

I think I am going to take your advice :icon_thum

Dave:)

J

jeff...

IMHO - that mantle is nude - I see a stark difference in heart / sapwood. The grain clarity is not something I would expect to see from a piece of wood that has had the nasty 5 letter wood (stain) applied to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors