OK Crap construction ---> Barred Owl Birdhouse -- $129.99 plus SHIPPING

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeastyISNT

New User
BeastyISNT
Ok, I am not sure if this is against policy, but I have a rant against aabirdhouses. Take a look at these bird houses, and the cost. OUCH, like a crappy Barred Owl Birdhouse for 130.00 for plywood with a hole in it... :( Bad work, I know my bird houses are not like John in Cranbrook extreme bird house... LOVE YOUR WORK JOHN :)

http://www.aabirdhouses.com/morebirdhousespage1.html

Ahhh the fun...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You can list anything for sale. It doesn't mean that folks will buy it. I suspect that isn't a hot seller.
Dave:)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bet they don't sell thousands but I bet they do sell a few. It is amazing how so many folks do not have any clue what goes into making things (time, skills, materials). All they know is they want it and do not have the time or skill or space or equipment or desire to make it themselves.

Glennbear

Glenn
I agree with Scott's outlook and I would also say that this particular vendor deserves a couple points for an extremely optimistic outlook. :rotflm:

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
How do the birds know which house to use? I mean, will the robin know to use the robin perch and not the barn swallow perch? Will the northern flicker know his house from the bluebird? And what if a finch finds a parakeet in the nesting box built for him? And just imagine if you paid $130 for an owl box and a wood duck took up residence in it instead, or even worse, a possum!

RickC

New User
Rick
i don't think we should be dissing this guy.

i think we should applaud his efforts and figure out how we could sell bird houses at these prices.

he's got to be doing something right to have his site up and running and had 934 visitors in the month of june

http://siteanalytics.compete.com/aabirdhouses.com/

I would tend to agree. How many of us have gone by craft shows and looked at wood items for sale and thought "I KNOW how much effort it takes to make that and they're selling for HOW much?"

My moment came during a stroll down Academy Street during their Lazy Days festival. I saw an unfinished "hot plate" made out of two rounded over circular pieces of pine, about 10" in diameter. A "lazy susan" type ball bearing swivel was in between them. They were going for $19.99.

I knew I could get everything he had for materials, and enjoy the same profit margin. He had just one thing I did not - the entrepreneur spirit to actually do it!

Vestus

Kerry
Corporate Member
Ouch. Still cheaper than a $23,148,855,308,184,500.00 bottle of water due to Visa's buggy system.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
He does have a bunch of $25 to $30 models. Apparantly making the larger one is a pain.

JOAT

New User
Theo
He might be 'asking' that much, and he might be getting a few visitors to his site, but I bet he's not selling many. Pretty crappy looking work on some of them too (possibly all but I couldn't get that good a look). Looks like the cheapest grade of 1/4" plywood he could find too. Unpainted, outside, probably start delaminating after a bit. I'd be ashamed to ask that much for work like that - but that's me. I guess I'd better jack up the prices on my banks. OK, who wants one, they're on sale for $50, not including shipping.

Littlejon

New User
Jon
Well, if I could get people to buy a birdhouse made from 3/8 plywood for $130, I would be in the shop every day making them as fast as I could. No shipping fees and a fresh coat of paint to boot.

Can't really blame the guy for selling something that people are willing to buy. I wold be curious to see what his return policy is. I wonder how many people have "buyer's remorse" after getting it and having someone see it and point out how simple it is to build something like that.

Still, if you make something and price it where you feel it will sell and give you the best return on your money, you have to try to sell it. If people buy it, who am I to trash you for it?

Can I make a better one and sell if cheaper? Yep. But, can I make more money? Who knows? I would have to sell a lot more than he does to make the same amount of money. Besides, if you hit the right market, you can sell an air conditioner to an Eskimo!:gar-Bi

JOAT

New User
Theo
I'm still waiting for someone to come up with word on how many the guy has actually sold at that price - if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS