nova G3 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
My stupid rookie question of the [STRIKE]month[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]week[/STRIKE] day :embaresse

Woodcraft is offering this http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080766/29195/Nova-G3-Chuck-and-Jaw-Promotional-Package.aspx

It seems the caveat is " insert sold separately " . Are they referring to the part that actually screws onto the headstock ? That is to say that while this sounds like a good deal, it is not lathe-ready ?

Is it still a good deal ? Comments ?

TIA :mrgreen:

TedAS

New User
Ted
Robert
I have this chuck and I like it, it works smoothly and grips well with the dovetail type jaws.
I paid $139 for the chuck and insert combo with only 1 set of jaws at Woodcraft 2 years ago. I think this looks like a good deal for the Nova chuck with the extra jaws, one set of jaws can cost $40.

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
Most Nova chucks comes without the insert so they can fit almost any lathe.
The one on Amazon is a good price if you do not have to pay sales tax and it is the correct insert for your lathe. If you search ebay for "Nova G3" you can buy it with your choice of insert and no sales tax or shipping for the same $115.
The woodcraft price is good but only if you need the jaws that come with it. IMHO the pin jaws are good, the 35mm..well not much difference from the 50mm, the Cole Jaws are the Mini (7" maximum I believe). By the time you add the insert (about $22) and taxes you are up to about $185.
I have a G3 also and really like it. As Ted stated, extra jaws are about $40 (as far as I know the chucks always come with the 50mm). I don’t think you will go wrong with the chuck. The question would be are the jaws applicable to what you want to do for the extra $70.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors