'nother pen - tulips anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Posted a pic earlier of my first attempt at doing some inlay. Well silly me decided to do my first inlay on a small scale. The wood is purpleheart and poplar in maple. Overall I am happy with the pen and LOML loves it! Let me know what you think!

IMG_0118_1.jpg

bluewing92

New User
Norm
nelson,
WOW!! That inlay looks great.:eusa_clap You definitely have the touch and patience, for working with something that small.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Wow, that is some small detailed inlay work. How thick is the inlay? Did you do the inlay and then turn the barrel or do the inlay after the barrel was turned? What is the darker wood at the center band location?

nelsone

New User
Ed
The inlay is in 1/4" material then laminated into a blank. the CB and lower part of the pen is all walnut.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I think this was an idea we were discussing on Saturday... and now it's a reality! Awesome!

You'll have to share with me the tricks of the art!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Awesome!!!! Boy, you're a teaser, I thought that inlay was "normal" sized. I am even more inpressed now :icon_thum
That is a spectacular pen, that's all I can say, absolutely spectacular :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

MikeH

New User
Mike
I think this was an idea we were discussing on Saturday... and now it's a reality! Awesome!

You'll have to share with me the tricks of the art!

It sure is Jeremy! You didn't waste any time did you Ed? It looks great!!!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ed, I don't know if you frequent the IAP or not. I was so impressed with your pen I thought that it should be shown to folks who really have an appreciation for the work that you put into it. I hope you don't mind that I posted it to show it off on the IAP site.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26498

If that bothers you I'll remove it immediately, but I think that you deserve some recognition for a fine work that I haven't seen anything similar too.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Excellent detail and execution!
The selection of woods and in particular the use of poplar(a wood I normally pass over because of the green color) is clever.
If I could suggest try putting blanks like this in a nicer plating.
My hat is off to you.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(only for a short while because the sun burns the top of my head)

nelsone

New User
Ed
Ed, I don't know if you frequent the IAP or not. I was so impressed with your pen I thought that it should be shown to folks who really have an appreciation for the work that you put into it. I hope you don't mind that I posted it to show it off on the IAP site.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26498

If that bothers you I'll remove it immediately, but I think that you deserve some recognition for a fine work that I haven't seen anything similar too.

No problem Dave. I actually just registered on IAP yesterday evening and couldn't post until this morning. I really appreciate the reaction this pen is getting!

Eagle, I definitely appreciate your comments and encouragement!

Ed

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Just got around to this post... Man, that's an awesome pen. I have a personal preference for "all wood" pens and this is one of the nicest I've seen in a while. Great job! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS