NOT for Turning Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

I'm home from a 450 mile, whirlwind round trip to Hickory (and Klingspor for my 20% off deal), to Greensboro (for a great lunch and a fun day at the Greensboro Woodworking Expo with loads of NCWW colleagues) and on to Mayodan (where else, but to Wall Lumber) and return. It's dark now (got home at 7:30 and took my wife out for a nice dinner), so no pics, but I'm gonna make all you pen guys (and others, too;-) ) super jealous when I reveal what I got in the back of my truck! Here's a hint -:eusa_thin - it's big enough to produce about 1,650 pen blanks at 3/4" x 3/4" x 6" each, but that would be a tragic misuse... Only John Richards (WG) knows of this treasure under the tarp!

Stay tuned...:lol: I'm off to :sleepy2:and tomorrow is another day!:eusa_danc

Rob

J

jeff...

I have yet to meet a peice 3/4" thick hunk of wood I couldn't turn into a pen blank :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'm sure that you could spare 1 or 2 out of the 1650.....some crumbs for the pen turners :eusa_pray

Dave:)

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
I know what it is :eusa_danc but have no idea how beautiful it is :BangHead: OK LETS SEE IT

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
If he went to Wall lumber there is no telling what he got. I could spend every penny I have and more when I go there.

What'cha get????????

M

McRabbet

Okay, okay. I'm made you all wait long enough! We left the Expo at 2:00 PM and drove to Wall Lumber -- saw Mike Davis and he watched as I looked over some Bubinga I need for a commissioned Counter top for a wealthy friend of the people I built the Wine Cellar for last Fall. I selected this little piece of 8/4 for it!
100_3393.jpg
It is a nicely figured piece that measures 119+" long, 21-7/8" wide and at 8/4 is 2" thick. It is one beautiful piece of African rosewood! Here is another picture showing some of the figure in the rough:
100_3395.jpg

The second piece that is at the left in the picture is a 5-1/2" wide piece of 8/4 that I'll use for the counter top supports along with pieces gleaned from a cutoff from the main slab. Under this are several pieces of 5/4 and 8/4 white oak that I got for a toy chest I'm building for my grandson. Nice way to spend over $550, eh?

Rob

PS -- what am I offered for any pen blanks from the offcuts?

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
What would you like in trade of a pen blank or 2 :rolf: I am open to reasonable suggestions :icon_thum

M

McRabbet

What is bubinga, it's wood I know but where does it come form?
Jeff,

I doubt your BM would be able to tackle one of these babies -- First problem is getting your mill to the trees -- they grow in equatorial Africa. Second, as outlined in the attached information, these majestic trees grow to 100' or more and trunks are typically 36", with boles up to 60 feet long. Its common name is African Rosewood. Logs brought to the US often weigh as much as 10 tons. The wood can exhibit beautiful figure that goes through the entire tree -- I saw some 4/4 slabs that were 30-42" wide and 8-10 feet long at an Asheville supplier (Cormark International) that were so prized they were asking $35/BF for them. I paid $10/BF for this slab -- it was $359 plus tax!

Rob

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That's a beautiful stick of wood, Rob, and a bargain at 359 plus tax! :lol: :lol:

Can't wait to see what becomes of it.

Chuck

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Bubinga is one of my all time favorites! I have made a lot of frames out of it as it is really rich wood!!

J

jeff...

Jeff,

I doubt your BM would be able to tackle one of these babies -- First problem is getting your mill to the trees -- they grow in equatorial Africa. Second, as outlined in the attached information, these majestic trees grow to 100' or more and trunks are typically 36", with boles up to 60 feet long. Its common name is African Rosewood. Logs brought to the US often weigh as much as 10 tons. The wood can exhibit beautiful figure that goes through the entire tree -- I saw some 4/4 slabs that were 30-42" wide and 8-10 feet long at an Asheville supplier (Cormark International) that were so prized they were asking $35/BF for them. I paid $10/BF for this slab -- it was $359 plus tax!

Rob

Let me have a whack at that bad boy, I have yet to meet a tree I couldn't make into lumber. Some logs are big and bad and even down right stubborn but where there's a will theres a way. That looks like some pretty wood in that finished picture frame, I'm sure your slab will make a great looking counter top.

I'll be the first to admit, I know next to nothing about trees that come from foreign lands other than they are ridiculously expensive and called exotics. If it ain't from central North Carolina or southern central Virginia, I'm lost and even then sometimes I'm still lost. Doubt I'll be milling one of those 36" x 60' logs anytime soon, less I move my WM to Africa :-D that or find a barrel of money somewhere.

That being said; it makes me think of a Irish Bog Oak thread I participated in recently.

penturners.org - Wanted - Irish Bog Oak

BTW - I'm jeffm19 on that site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors