Nine Months Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
A bowl is born!

I started this with a piece of burl from a Wild Cherry tree cut last September. After turning green, waiting for it to dry, finish turning and then sanding it's taken a long while to see the result.

The grain is so beautiful, I simply had to share these photos. I hope you'll agree.

Jim

Attachments

• P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 277
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 281
  • P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 282

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
I think it was well worth the 9 months. Very Beautiful and well done. Excellent! Terry:eusa_danc :eusa_clap

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Beautiful. Love the background, just the right setting to show off the bowl. Worth the wait wasn't it? So who is the proud owner of this? SWMBO or a paying client? Either way, I'm sure they will cherish it forever.

Mike

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Incredible work, Jim!!!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_danc :eusa_clap

The photography and setting for the picture is top notch! Excellent work and well worth the wait. Hope you have more of cherry from that tree!

Wayne

T

toolferone

Man, I thought we had a baby announcement! Anyway the bowl is beautiful.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Congratulations on your BABY! "She" is beautiful and "ditto" regarding the photography.
You did a wonderful job.

Barbara

sapwood

New User
Roger
Jim, we agree! That is beautiful figure, turning, and finishing. :icon_thum

Oops, forgot to echo others posts that photography is great too :eusa_clap

Roger

dozer

Mike
I like it. I would say it was well worth the wait. How did you dry it after turning it while it was green? Did you get nuch checking during the drying process?

Thanks, Mike

J

jeff...

Wow nice indeed, wood is so cool, each piece is unique - truly God's handiwork.

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
That is some incredible grain! Great way to show it of with the design and photography!

JRD

New User
Jim
Mike,

When using green wood I always rough turn, soak in alcohol for two or three days, air dry, and wrap in about 5 sheets of newspaper.

Usually, I wait a minimum of 5 months before unwraping, finish turning, and sanding.

Every once in a while I'll get checking, but the vast majority of the time have none, or such small checking that I can fill with either superglue or use my old standby, Tightbond and sanding dust in a thick paste to fill any cracks. The cherry bowl simply had superglue in some very fine checks to make sure it didn't come apart on the lathe.

Jim

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
So do you keep the bowl completely wrapped when alcohol drying? I had read that you should leave the center open. I tried it with the center open on a cedar bowl and it worked great. However, on the last bowl I rought turned (sycamore) I got some cracking.

Some of the guys in WAWA (Wilmington Area Woodturners Association) tell me that I am nuts for alcohol drying. They say a paper bag for a little while works great.

Anyway, please elaborate on your method. BTW - bowl looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS