next holdfast question - square holes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Another newbie holdfast question...

My searches have turned up a few people saying "holdfasts will not work in a square hole" but few of those appear to have actually tried it. Roughly an equal number saying "they work fine for me in square holes". Nothing either way too definitive. Christopher Schwartz prefers round, but didn't say that square won't work with a holdfast.

So, is anyone successfully using their holdfast in square holes? Or have tried it in the past and gave up because it didn't work?

TIA!
Chris

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Round peg in a square hole? :)

It will have less surface to surface contact, but my guess is repeated use will round it a little.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Round peg in a square hole? :)

Aye, there's the rub!

A 3/4" round peg fits just fine in a 3/4" square hole. The reverse only works for woodworkers...and then only if the square peg happens to be a hollow mortising chisel followed closely behind by a very large mallet! :wink_smil

Which is why, in case anyone is interested, I'd like to have square holes in my bench -- so I can use either.

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
I would suggest that you just do a trial. Get a piece of wood the thickness of your bench, pit a square hole in it, clamp the block to the bench (in the shoulder vise for example or betwen dogs in the tail vise), tap in the hold fast and see if youcan lift the benchtop.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I would suggest that you just do a trial. Get a piece of wood the thickness of your bench, pit a square hole in it, clamp the block to the bench (in the shoulder vise for example or betwen dogs in the tail vise), tap in the hold fast and see if youcan lift the benchtop.

I would do exactly that...if I had a holdfast...

:dontknow:

Glennbear

Glenn
Somewhere in my massive stash of woodworking magazines I recall seeing a benchtop design where the builder had made square holes 1/2 the thickness of the benchtop to use bench stops and continued with round through holes to use holdfasts YMMV. :wsmile:

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Somewhere in my massive stash of woodworking magazines I recall seeing a benchtop design where the builder had made square holes 1/2 the thickness of the benchtop to use bench stops and continued with round through holes to use holdfasts YMMV. :wsmile:

Now there's an option I had not considered...

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris

You know, Bill, the more I think about your answer...the more I realize that is exactly what I should do. I've been planning to buy some when I finish the bench, so why not buy them now and try them out!

eyekode

New User
Salem
Here is some advice from a guy who hasnt yet completed his first bench :).

Square dog holes are good for using in conjunction with a tail vice. In this setup they are placed as close to the front rail as possible. This is not where you thpically put holdfasts.

I am using square holes for my tail vice and round holes further back in the benchtop for holdfasts.

I don't think I will be tempted to put a holdfast in my square holes. But I also think it could ruin the holes. Mine are tilted at a 2-3 degree angle and are closer to 1inch square.
Salem

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
i have 3/4" square holes and the holdfasts work great. It's also easy to make bench dogs for the square holes. Round holes tend to elongate over time so I'm told. I have round holes in the legs of the bench and the sliding deadman (which are different thicknesses than the benchtop) and the holdfasts are not noticeably "better" at holding here.

In general, round pegs fit in square holes, but as for the opposite -square pegs into round holes- that requires a mallet!

HTH,
Sam

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
My benchtop is just over 2 inches thick and I have some round 3/4 holes and some 3/4 square dog holes for shop-made wooden dogs. Holdfasts seem to work equally well in either hole--if you give it a good enough whack.

TBradley190

New User
Tim
Chris, I use a jorgenson 12" clamp that has 1/4" x 3/4" bar and I removed the stationary head and replaced with 1 1/2" peice of steel held on by a 3/16 bolt and nut. When I drop it in the hole the steel flips sideways and holds down when I tighten it up. My holes are round, but it will work on square holes too! Just a thought,

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS