Newbie Chick in Stedman/Fayetteville

Status
Not open for further replies.

CardinalCyn

New User
Cynthia
Hi, All!

Just found this site last night... don't know how it never came up in any of my woodworking forum searches in the past, but sure glad it did now! I am new to the site and not very good at navigation, but bear with me and maybe I can learn how to do it.

I have been an "official" woodworker (meaning paid for my services) for the past 9 years, but have messed with wood since I was 19... I am considerably older than that now. :) I have been obsessed with all things wooden since I was a kid, and love antiques (thanks, Mom). I own both a custom cabinet shop and a furniture refinishing company which specializes in antiques restoration. I am hoping I can learn something here, maybe help someone who is having a problem I have had to deal with in the past, or just chat about working the wood in general. I have had some experience with refinishing or woodworking sites where some members tend to (I really hope completely unawares) talk down to women about woodworking. I like to think I know a little bit about what I do <smile>. After reading some of the threads, it seems folks here want to interact in positive and supportive ways, and I appreciate that. I work constantly, and love what I do. I don't really know what else to say, but I am happy to read your posts and "hear" you all interact.

Thanks for creating this site and giving people access to learn and grow. Have a great day, All! Cynthia

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
Another fellow Fayettevillian. Glad to have you. Look forward to seeing pics of your work.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Welcome Cynthia. FWIW: We do not tolerate people that "talk down to women about woodworking" or about anything at all. Barbara and Cathy can back me up on that. I am glad to have someobne with your finishing/resotration background join us. There are regularly lots of questions on these subjects.

Doug

Hi, All!

Just found this site last night... don't know how it never came up in any of my woodworking forum searches in the past, but sure glad it did now! I am new to the site and not very good at navigation, but bear with me and maybe I can learn how to do it.

I have been an "official" woodworker (meaning paid for my services) for the past 9 years, but have messed with wood since I was 19... I am considerably older than that now. :) I have been obsessed with all things wooden since I was a kid, and love antiques (thanks, Mom). I own both a custom cabinet shop and a furniture refinishing company which specializes in antiques restoration. I am hoping I can learn something here, maybe help someone who is having a problem I have had to deal with in the past, or just chat about working the wood in general. I have had some experience with refinishing or woodworking sites where some members tend to (I really hope completely unawares) talk down to women about woodworking. I like to think I know a little bit about what I do <smile>. After reading some of the threads, it seems folks here want to interact in positive and supportive ways, and I appreciate that. I work constantly, and love what I do. I don't really know what else to say, but I am happy to read your posts and "hear" you all interact.

Thanks for creating this site and giving people access to learn and grow. Have a great day, All! Cynthia

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Cynthia,

Welcome. I'm happy you found us and happier still that you decided to join us. I'm sure you'll enjoy spending time here in the friendliest woodworking forum on the net. Since you are a woodworker by trade, I look forward to your input in the various discussions here. And in case you haven't heard, we do love photos here. Feel free to upload photos of your work, projects, shop, or whatever.

Again, Welcome!

M

McRabbet

Welcome to our virtual pile of sawdust, Cynthia -- we're all glad you found us and look forward to your input and expertise to add to the great mix we already have amongst our members. We're short of female members, but that is more a reflection of fewer women as woodworkers than any attitudes among our membership. Enjoy the forums, post some pictures and welcome aboard.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Cynthia!:eusa_danc

It will be great having you here to share in some of our woodworking frolic.

Please post some pictures of your work for us.

You have a great bunch of gals and guys here at your disposal for any woodworking problems OR tool acquisition advice. (This type of advise abounds!!:gar-Bi)

Post often, stay safe around those power tools and by all means have fun!

Wayne

CardinalCyn

New User
Cynthia
Thanks for the welcome! I would love to post pics of our work, but don't know how... is it me or is this computer thingey difficult???? Make it out of wood and I could probably figure it out. lol If someone could mentor me on how to upload (or is it download) pics and post them, I would be really grateful. Wanna see work we have done, work we are doing now, or pics of my shops, or what? Be forewarned - no matter how many dust collection systems I put in, there is still sawdust everywhere, so be prepared. Dust collector... we don't need no stinkin' dust collector!

Thanks again for the nice welcome, and I look forward to being a member of North Carolina Woodworker site!

Rob

New User
Rob
Welcome Cynthia, glad to have you here, especially with your restoration experience. I would love to contact you about a possible project for your shop if I may. Maybe I can help you about the site if you have questions. I'm not far from Fayetteville.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Welcome to our virtual pile of sawdust, Cynthia -- we're all glad you found us and look forward to your input and expertise to add to the great mix we already have amongst our members. We're short of female members, but that is more a reflection of fewer women as woodworkers than any attitudes among our membership. Enjoy the forums, post some pictures and welcome aboard.

+1. Welcome Cynthia. I think that you will find this group to be pretty much race and gender neutral when it comes to woodworking - we're all here due to our love for this craft.

When one of us inadvertently (or advertently) strays, fortunately we have a great site policy as well as a great group of moderators who will bring us back in line! :gar-La;

Quite frankly, I know women woodworkers whose craftsmanship is far superior to my own (Amy Dowden, amongst others), and I look forward to learning from anyone that has great information to share.

Scott

CardinalCyn

New User
Cynthia
Thanks so much, Doug! Already printed out your uploading inx, and I will get some pics loaded when my office mgr comes in on Monday... she usually does that kind of thing. I am unhappily oblivious about my computer, but can't find the time to really learn all it can do for me. Ever get caught in one of those search engine frustrations where you can't find what the hay you are looking for??? Story of my life LOL Again, thanks for your help.

CardinalCyn

New User
Cynthia
Hi, Rob:

My door is always open for business opportunities :) Any way we can help you, we will. Our cabinet co motto is "We build what you dream", and we mean it. Our refinishing co motto is "Restoring beauty to your life", and we are serious about that. How can I help you? I often find myself in or driving through Sanford, so if it is easier for me to drop by your shop on my way somewhere, let me know.

Glennbear

Glenn
Welcome Cynthia, with your combination of disciplines I am sure you have a lot to share between the cabinet shop (new) and refinishing (old) :wsmile:

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Welcome to the site!! It is always nice to have people in and around Fayetteville join the site. I work in Fayetteville so I identify more with the area.

With all these folks in and around the area joining, maybe we can finally get a shop crawl going down here!!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Cynthia to our virtual family. Yes we are mostly men but we have several acomplished and very active women on the site. Yes we boys act up from time to time but you won't have any trouble.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Welcome to the site. Speaking, I'm sure, for everyone we are glad to have another woodworker with a wealth of knowledge to share.

By the way, I like your handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS