New to woodworking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subman

New User
Mike
I recently inherited several pieces of woodworking equipment (Table Saw, Radial Arm Saw, Lathe, etc.) and am just starting to learn to use them. Wife wants a Farm Table. I have looked online at some various plans. (I will have to get some clamps.) Looking for ideas for type of wood to use. I am in the Northeast Corner of NC. Active Duty Sub Officer soon to retire. I am taking some "how to" courses at Woodcraft in Norfolk, VA. I don't care to wind up like the icon here.:saw:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hello Subman,

The most important thing in your new hobby... is having fun. Welcome to the group.

Has your wife said anything besides wanting a 'farm table'? If she's not sure about styles, size, wood types or colors, you could try going through a couple of furniture stores (NC is the home of all the best furniture) or even browse on line to get a few ideas.

Peace,
Ray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike welcome to the site and to woodworking!!! Types of wood for a farm table are numerous. Often Pine was used for true farm tables. Oak would be another good choice. But you could get fancy with Walnut or Cherry. That style lends itself to breadboard end which are a nice decorative touch that helps to keep the table flat. I've just read a great plan from the New Yankee Workshop for a trestle farm type table. You will need clamps, a table slab is a large glue up, plus you can never have enough clamps. I highly recommend the parallel jaw clamps like Bessys or Jorgys or Jet's new ones, they make the job of flat glue up easier. Let us know if you have an specific questions when you get started or if you ever need any personal assistance.
See you around!!!!
Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Welcome to the site. The classes at woodcraft are great. I'll also plug our own Woodguy. He is starting to offer some classes. He has a top notch shop, and is a very good teacher. If you can make one, do it. Again, welcome to the site.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to ya, Subman.

Sounds like you have a real good start on setting up a great woodworking shop! We have many talented folks here to assist with all of the great answers to your woodworking questions. Always receptive to questions at any level novice to advanced.

It would appear that your LOYL already has some ideas to keep you busy, just as soon as you enter into full retirement.:lol:

Have fun!

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ahoy Subman and a hearty welcome :-D

Camden is neat little town and they have done a great job renovating the courthouse. :icon_thum

NCWoodworker is a valuable resource for advice and sharing. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have. :mrgreen:

Sapwood

M

McRabbet

Mike,
Welcome to the NC WWer's Forum -- I'm retired and still can't find enough hours to do all the things I'd love to do, so you've got lots to look forward to when you retire! Let me add another suggestion for a farm table -- there is a good article by a master woodworker, Glen Huey, in the October 2003 issue of Popular Woodworking on pg 42 entitled "Shaker Trestle Table" that is a beauty with simple but elegant lines (PM me with your e-mail address if you need a copy of the article -- don't post it!).

BTW, if you do have some pictures to share, be sure to request a Photo Gallery (click on "Other Links" on the Main Menu bar), and read the section on Photo Gallery in the FAQs and How To's forum and read the threads in the Forums category for putting pictures in your posts.

And, thank you for your service to our Nation. We are all proud of our military men and women.

Welcome to the site!

Rob

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Mike, welcome to NCWW and woodworking in general. I am sure you will find it an enjoyable and relaxing hobby. Besides all of the great advice you will find on this site there are a number of good WW magazines that offer "How To" information. I look forward to reading your input to the forums. Feel free to request a photo album and post some pics of the tools your recently acquired.

Congrats on your upcoming retirement and thanks for your service to this great Nation of ours.:eusa_clap

BTW.......is it true what I heard about there only being two classes of vessels traveling the high seas...............submarines and target ships?:lol:

D L

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
D L Ames said:
two classes of vessels traveling the high seas...............submarines and target ships?:lol:

I am sure that makes SteveC feel pretty good right about now. :lol:

4yanks

New User
Willie
It sounds like you've got a good headstart on building your shop. I have to reiterate DaveO's advice on Norm Abrams "New Yankee Workshop" books. These are great resources for newer woodworkers. Norm gives step by step instructions with adequate drawings. Just make sure you read the entire article before you begin, sometimes he skips around. As you develop your skills you will probably prefer to work off of your own designs, but these books offer a great resource for beginers interested in traditional projects. As for the type of wood for a table, pine has been mentioned, and it is a good choice for tradition and ease of construction. Another alternative I'll throw your way is soft maple (its not really soft). It provides a smooth durable surface for table tops and is one of the least expensive hardwoods you can buy. Good luck.

Subman

New User
Mike
Thanks for the hospitality. Yes there are only two kinds of ships, Subs and targets. Appreciate all the info and advice for the table. I'll post some pictures if I ever get it done.
-Subman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors