New rocker, critiques please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocker

New User
John
I have finished a new rocker. This one is based on a theme of the rain forest...so I call it, naturally...Rain Forest Rocker.

backrest_inlays_012.JPG

The primary woods are mahogany and wenge. I wanted it to look voluptuous but refined. The wenge backrests are made from quarter sawn wenge which revealed the intricate pattern that some call partridge, but I think looks more like snakeskin...which I thought would be appropriate to the theme. The tops are inlaid into the headrest and then screwed and pegged out of an abundance of caution.
backrest_inlays_030.JPG
backrest_inlays_031.JPG
backrest_inlays_019.JPG

The headrest features a 24 karat gilded sun disc rising out of the mahogany and on the back side is a carved generic flower...in the rain forest flowers are ubiquitous. I wanted this disc to form a halo around the head of who ever sits there...in the hope this would inspire the sitter to think good thoughts about the rain forest.

The arm rests are unique in two ways. They grow out of the back legs in the way a banana leaf grows from its stem and they undulate like a leaf in a breeze.
backrest_inlays_027.JPG
backrest_inlays_020.JPG
carved_arms_1_2_.jpg

But, they are also shaped to match the under side of an arm to create a perfect cradle for the arm as in the carvings of Adam and God's arm that I made based on Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel creation scene.

You can see from the middle picture above, that the seat is 'cello' shaped, and that is based upon the impression a seated person would leave in wet sand...well maybe a seated person with an ample bottom.
backrest_inlays_022.JPG
backrest_inlays_025.JPG
backrest_inlays_066.JPG
backrest_inlays_009.JPG

The inlays on the sides are based up the designs of the Ndebele people of Zimbabwe and South Africa. They employ colorful geometric designs on their houses and in their textiles. (The Ndebele people are an offshoot the Zulu union that was forged by the mighty King Shaka back in the 16th century.

The tree frog is there for fun, his name is Ovila.

I always hand tool the top edge of my chairs as shown in the third picture. And, finally, for this chair I terminated the recurved rockers in a leaf that is supposed to appear to be sprouting from the rocker. It is a stylized mahogany leaf. The finish on the chair is polymerized tung oil.
There are more pictures in my gallery.
This chair belongs Dr. Stephen Stedman, a former Assistant Secretary General of the United Nations who served under Kofi Anan.
I had fun with this chair and loved working in mahogany, it is truly the king of woods as well as the wood of kings.
I would very much like to hear your critique of this chair and would also like to hear your recommendations for changes for the next time I make one of this style.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Well, I won't offer a critique of the piece but a few comments.

I assume the back, seat, etc are sized to the owner.

The joinery is solid, the craftsmanship is solid, the wood selection is good and the artistic impression is simply outstanding. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

The only feature that appears to be out of place to me is the golden disk/headrest. I think the flat surface on the sides of the disk appear to be unnatural and it breaks up the flow of the remainder of the chair.

Please understand I could never make anything this beautiful. I don't have an artist's hand and lack the creativity needed to attempt a project on this scale.

Chuck

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Good morning John,

I think McRabbit said it all. That is some chair and quite an undertaking on your part. When we spoke at the picnic, you said that you were working on a unique style chair. That was quite an understatement. You, my friend, are quite an artist. I am anxious to see what comes of the quarter sawn stock you picked up at the picnic. How many hours do you figure you have invested in the chair? Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Dino

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Oh my God!!!8-O 8-O 8-O That is outstanding, you've taken the Malof sculptural rocker form to it's utmost level. That isn't a seat, it's a work of art. The only thing I don't 100% love is the gold disk, it just seems out of place. But that is just my opinion and you know what they about them :roll: :roll:

Dave:)

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Wonderful style and execution. Everything flows together very nicely but like some others, the disc doesn't go with the flow so to speak. This takes nothing away from your design so take it with a grain of salt. Just lovely. BTW, is there some writing on the underside of the chair????

Mike

Rocker

New User
John
Thanks for the comments so far guys. It helps me more than you know. Dino, I invested 80 hours in making this chair, but that does not account for the design/redesign time which I mark up to a capital investment in the future, much the same as that wonderful table saw of yours.

Chuck and Dave, thanks for the comment on the sun disc. I have received other comments on it that go along with yours. I'll reconsider the concept of the sun disc on future versions of this chair. I guess it might have been better if I had tapered the sides of the disc to a hard edge, but I didn't think of that at the time (I really dislike the act of turning on a lathe for some reason and, as a result, I probably stopped turning too soon). Also, it was suggested that I could have added two more supports, at 3 and 9 o'clock, which I will also consider for the next time if I continue with the disc, although then I'm not sure what I would do about the 12 o'clock position.
As for size of the chair, I made it to fit the relatively large owner (who may become larger still...jeez, I hope he doesn't read this), but loml says it fits her small frame nicely, also. It's funny, when I sit in a narrow rocker, say a 19 to 20 inch rocker, I feel confined...and I am not a large guy...175lbs. This one is built to 22 inches because I wanted the the sitter to have room to move around a little. The offset in the arm support gives the impression of a wider seat, also, I think.

Again, thanks guys.
John

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Thanks for the comments so far guys. It helps me more than you know. Dino, I invested 80 hours in making this chair, but that does not account for the design/redesign time which I mark up to a capital investment in the future, much the same as that wonderful table saw of yours.

Chuck and Dave, thanks for the comment on the sun disc. I have received other comments on it that go along with yours. I'll reconsider the concept of the sun disc on future versions of this chair. I guess it might have been better if I had tapered the sides of the disc to a hard edge, but I didn't think of that at the time (I really dislike the act of turning on a lathe for some reason and, as a result, I probably stopped turning too soon). Also, it was suggested that I could have added two more supports, at 3 and 9 o'clock, which I will also consider for the next time if I continue with the disc, although then I'm not sure what I would do about the 12 o'clock position.
As for size of the chair, I made it to fit the relatively large owner (who may become larger still...jeez, I hope he doesn't read this), but loml says it fits her small frame nicely, also. It's funny, when I sit in a narrow rocker, say a 19 to 20 inch rocker, I feel confined...and I am not a large guy...175lbs. This one is built to 22 inches because I wanted the the sitter to have room to move around a little. The offset in the arm support gives the impression of a wider seat, also, I think.

Again, thanks guys.
John

Amazing to think of completing that masterpiece in 80 hours. Wow!

The overall flow of the piece makes me think of "Starry Night" for some reason. I believe that van Gogh would have been proud to sit and rock in that chair.

Chuck

Rocker

New User
John
Michael,
Yes, that is writing on the bottom. I can share some of it with you. On each of my rockers I write this fragment of the poem "The Princess" by Tennyson:

Now folds the lily
All her sweetness up
And slips into the bosom
Of the lake.

So, fold thyself
My dearest Thou
And slip into my bosom
And be lost in me.

Then I sign the piece, date it, and add a personal message.

nelsone

New User
Ed
John,

Thank you for posting this beautiful rocker that you have created. I hope the others don't take my next comment as a slight, because I truely value their input and advise. It is, however, the beautiful works of art such as this rocker that keep me coming back and inspire me to challenge myself with hopes and dreams of being able to make a creation on your level! There are many wonderful examples of woodworking, but yours is on another level.

Please, please, please don't stop posting works like this!

Ed

woodguy1975

New User
John
Very nice work! The styling is very unique. A little too much for me, but it looks like your craftsmanship was excellent.

Did you base that off a Taylor plan? The legs and splay angle look to be very similar.

John

William Roscoe

New User
William
Absolutely amazing! Sam Maloof himself would be impressed, especially that it only took 80 hours. It would take me that long to write that poem on the bottom:lol:. Tell us how you attached the top spindles to the crest rail. It looks kind of like an inlay but I'm sure it has more strength than that. Also, did you finish it like Maloof or have you modified that process?

MikeH

New User
Mike
Rocker all I can say is WOW. That is truly a work of art!!! Could you possibly post larger pictures in your gallery so we can see larger pictures of it?

Again all I can say is WOW!!! :eusa_clap

skeeter

New User
Charles
Nothing to critique. That's one amazing chair. I think I'd go crazy if anyone sat down in it.... You are truly an artist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS