New pen style (for me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I tried to branch out for the standard Slimline style pens I have been making lately and try a Euro style pen.
Here's my results in Bocote, maybe Wenge or Walnut (mystery blank from Clay) and another experiment for me...Acrylic.

Pens_070.jpg

Only had one issue, on the Bocote pen (the second one I turned) I made the tenon a little tight and the sizing bushing got stuck. A little excessive persuasion and it finally came off without buggering the barrel up much. Boy there were some choice words spoke that night :BangHead: :BangHead:
I like the kit and style, it leaves a little more meat on the pen and has a more substantial feel. My next experiment will be a segmented pen...see y'all in a week :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Nice looking pens Dave. Is that the tube showing through the acrylic? I tried one of those once, but my tube showed through awfully..

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice looking pens Dave. Is that the tube showing through the acrylic? I tried one of those once, but my tube showed through awfully..

I don't think that is tube showing, the blanks had a gold ribbon running through the green and red...I thought it would be a nice holiday pen to turn and give for Xmas.
Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
It is a great holiday pen. I like it! I tried to turn one of those cream and black looking acrylics. I really liked it, but my tubes showed.. so.. I didn't even put it together.

dozer

Mike
Dave, Nice job on the pens looks like you did a fine job. That tennon for the center band can be a real headache sometimes. On your acrylic blanks try painting the brass tubes with some nail polish before inserting them into the blank, also might want to drill the hole at 9/32 instead of 7mm to make more room for the tube when you put nail polish on them. Keep turning them out man they look great.

P.S. for that nail polish try to find a color that matches the blank, I know how much you like peach but it just won't work with evey blank :lol:

Monty

New User
Monty
Looks great, Dave. I just turned three pens in that same style yesterday, all out of a piece of scrap Honduran Rosewood I had. I agree - that pen design has a good look and feel to it.

cskipper

Cathy
Great looking pens! Try some of Clay's modifications without the tenon and using wood for the whole top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors