New Member Introduction - Anirban

Status
Not open for further replies.

manirban73

New User
Anirban
Hi, my name is Anirban, and I like long walks on the beach.. and beautiful sunsets... Oh.. sorry.. wrong intro (that's my match.com opening).... (that's a JOKE....:gar-Bi)

So, my name is Anirban, and I'm a complete newcomer to the area of woodworking. Really long story short, I am originally from India, but have grown up in western Pennsylvania, and lived all over the US before coming to the Durham area this May (and, hopefully, will be making NC my home for a long time to come).

The reason why I'm here (and I'll be posting something in the Custom Projects section), is that I'm a student of Indian classical music, and I play a 23 stringed fretless lute called a sarod. My sarod, which I lugged here from India in 2001, is made of a wood called Toon in India, which, as I understand, is Indian Mahogany. Anyways, in a fit of maddness, I've gutted the whole instrument, and I'm in the process of putting everything back together again, but better.

Here is a nice picture of a sarod -
http://www.batesville.k12.in.us/bms/Staff/enneking/images/sarod player.jpg

So, this is a project that requires a LOT of woodworking, from bowl carving, to shaping, reaming, making pegs on a lathe, staining, oiling, etc...

I'm glad to be here, and will be bugging folks here and there for advice. A quick search has already helped me answer my first question, which was, - where do I get my hands on some mahogany. I need to make a brace for the inside of my instrument.

If you have any questions about this instrument or the work that I'm about to start on, please dont' hesitate to email me.

Thanks,

Anirban

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome to the site, it is great to have you here. Feel free to ask for and also to give advise. Keep us updated and show us pictures as often as possible.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Anirban!!!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Boy oh boy you ain't just foolin; around by getting into such a complex project such as that!!!:icon_scra:icon_scra

I do wish you luck and encourage you to open an album in our gallery so that we can view pictures of your progress!:wsmile:

Have a great time here, post often and don't forget those pictures! I would be really curious as to what sort of tools you plan on using during the restoration of the sarod.

Again welcome and by all means enjoy!

Wayne

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site -- glad you found us! We'd love more pictures and even some sound clips of the music from your instrument.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Welcome Anirban ! You've come to a good place if you have questions about wood, there are alot of talented people around here (I'm not one of them:gar-La;) that could help answer questions. And don't be afraid to ask them, because we all learn when the answers come out.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Welcome Anirban, that's a very interesting looking instrument. Good luck with the project and like everyone has said, pictures, pictures, pictures! :gar-Bi

Brian.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Hello Anirban and welcome to the site. Interesting instrument and a very ambicious project. Good luck and post pictures of your progress.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome to NCWWer, Anirban!
Several luthiers frequent the site and as others noted, there are woodworkers here with a variety of skills. Look forward to your progress and hope you find the info you need :icon_thum

Roger

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Anirban, welcome! I think several people here will have a use for your match.com opening....buy too many tools and you'll soon find yourself in the dog house :)

That's an ambitious project you've selected, but mothers are the necessity of invention!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome Anirban! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap That is a really cool looking instrument. Godo luck with your project and I look forward to your involvement on the site.

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hi, my name is Anirban, and I like long walks on the beach.. and beautiful sunsets... Oh.. sorry.. wrong intro (that's my match.com opening).... (that's a JOKE....:gar-Bi)

Welcome Anriban, your intro's intro is about the best I've seen. Does your wife know about your match.com dealings :embaresse I am glad to see you have the sense of humor to hang around with these dust heads.
When I first saw your registration bio come in, I wondered what type of instrument you were talking about. Now I see (bonus points for the link) and I still wonder :icon_scra:icon_scra That is one complicated looking instrument. I can't imagine figuring out how to play it let alone how it was made.
Hopefully Andy will come along soon, as he is our resident weird instrument expert.
I look forward to your input in the forums, and hopefully seeing pictures of your sarod restoration. If there is anything I can help with don't hesitate to ask.

Dave:)

manirban73

New User
Anirban
Hello everyone, thanks for such a warm welcome - I look forward to sharing my experiences with you all. I'm quite glad I found this site - there's such a wealth of information here. I'll post some pictures over the weekend when I download them from the camera.

For those of you commenting on the instrument itself - it is probably one the hardest instruments to master. Like the violin or cello, the fingerboard is fretless, but much larger than a violin or cello, so positioning of notes on the steel fingerboard is by muscle memory only. We use the nails on first 3 fingers of our left hand to press against the strings and/or slide along the fingerboard, while plucking with our right hand. Depending on the sustain of the instrument, the sliding can impart a lot of glissando, in western musical terms. There are plenty of Youtube videos around if you just do a search on "sarod".

Cheers,

Anirban

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Welcome, Friend.
You'll fit right in!
This bunch is "Kewl" and loves its "pics"
So get out that camera and send us some "clicks"
This crowd is young, this crowd is old
But this crowd is NEVER cold!
So welcome to the "sawdust pile"