New member intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragtimeman

New User
John
Hello All;

Very happy to have found this group. I'm still reading the fascinating files on harpsichord making submitted by Ernie Miller.

While nowhere near the level of some or most of you folks, I enjoy what woodworking I'm able to have time for. One day soon, I'm to start on a cherry bookcase I've been promising my wife for some time. After that, I must build a storage shed, and am planning on a size of 12' x 12' for material storage. My hope is to free up enough shop space for a 12" planer. My shop is now 12' x 25' and crowded.

At one point about 2001, I spent about 3 years, in my spare time, building a band organ, or carousel organ. These were used from about 1890 into the 1940's on carousels or merry - go - rounds. They were played with paper rolls originally, but most of the old rolls have now been scanned and changed to midi (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) files. That made my unit much easier to build, since I could control the opening and closing of 12V DC air valves with my computer.

It had 168 pipes on it, all but 23 of which were square or rectangular wooden ones, a 23 note glockenspiel, a bass drum, and a snare drum - cymbal combination.

I ended up selling the organ since I ran out of room for it. Sold the parts, since I couldn't get my desired price for the whole unit. Learned a great deal about various woodworking techniques, and many other processes too.

I've also restored a couple of old piano accordions, and they are amazingly complex. Much woodworking involved there, too. I've thought about building a cajun accordion from scratch, and have plans drawn up for one, but not enough time to do it just yet.

John

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
John, welcome aboard, we're glad you found us. Lots of good info and pics to be seen. Post some pics of your shop or projects when you get a chance.

Not that we like pics or anything! :rotflm::rotflm:

Brian.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Welcome! Sounds like you've carved a niche!

Along with pics, you will be required to add sound!

Jim

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome John..... Few can match Ernie's skill. Most of us just shake our head in wonder.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, John. We are glad you decided to join our party. Drag up a chair and sit a spell!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
"While nowhere near the level of some or most of you folks"

"At one point about 2001, I spent about 3 years, in my spare time, building a band organ, or carousel organ."

Welcome aboard John,

Your two statements above are contradictory:gar-La;, And I think that you are probably at least on the same level as most folks here. The neat thing here is that we have alot of different people that are good in different disciplines and we learn from each other. I know that you'll be a good addition to the site and I look forward to your postings, and maybe you can learn as much from us as we can learn from you:gar-Bi.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome John, I look forward to your input in the forums and hopefully seeing some pictures of your work.
Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome John. So glad that you found us!! I look forward to your input.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, John!!:icon_cheers

Betcha you can offer us a bunch of SOUND advice, based on the projects that you have done!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Post away and by all means have fun.

I look forward to seeing some pictures of your work!:wsmile::wsmile:

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS