New Member in Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Reckon its time to leave lurking mode and introduce myself. I'm Bruce Swanson and I live near Newton and Maiden. Been doing woodworking stuff longer than I can remember. Although I have a very well equipped shop, I've come to having an intimate relationship with my Dewalt DW788 :tool:scroll saw. I really enjoy cutting out and building fairly difficult clocks that consist of a lot of fretwork.
I lived 60 years in Chautauqua County, N.Y. approx. 80 miles southwest of Buffalo, NY, in the real snowbelt, before moving to (almost Heaven) NC over 5 years ago. I am still working, driving hazmat tanker trucks across the country, and looking forward to retiring from the road before spring--my shop needs me.
I also enjoy my Jet mini lathe. Started with pens several years ago and just kept making round things. Latest project is Wildwood Design's Miniature Grandfather clock and some turned boxes using the new Treen Mandrel System. It's really cool to use. Picked it up at Klingspor's. (They are listed as a dependent on my income tax return).:tinysmile_tongue_t:
Also working on an addition to the shop for my sawdust sucker system.
I enjoy making almost everything from local hardwoods. I put up a 24 x 32' pole building last Jan. to stack and dry lumber. Most amazingly its nearly full already, just wished all that lumber was a little drier. Found a sawmill in the mountains that has given me great deals on mill run lumber, so my supply of cherry, black walnut, maple, red oak, poplar, etc. has grown far beyond my expectations.
I enjoyed talking with a few of you at Klingspors show You have a great group of wood savages collected here. Look forward to making many more new friends afflicted with Sawdust Syndrome. BTW, I do have other wood machines in my shop, but I have really gotten a kick out fo the mini lathe and scroll saw.
Thanks for letting me hang around here.:notworthy:
Bruce Swanson

Bruce I'm close to you on startown road and might need to chat with you on your supplier. Can you shoot me a PM and let me know what you could sell some Walnut and Cherry for? FAS and Number 1 common...We saw also and a little closer in Lincolnton,Iron Station. You have probably seen me on startown with a 4runner pulling a trailer full of tree's larger than the 4runner...lol

Thanks in advance and glad to have you o the site....
Chris B 828-994-7333

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Bruce, glad to have you with us :icon_thum- most of all glad to see another Scroller with us - looking forward to seeing your work and your input in the forums

TedAS

New User
Ted
Welcome a-board Bruce,
This is a great place to hang out.
If you have been lurking here long enough you know we like photos, so don't be afraid to post pics of your work.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome Bruce!
Sounds like you bring lots to our group. Looking forward to your participation.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Bruce. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Thanks for the great introduction. It sounds like you're a very talented woodworker. Please share some pictures of your work. As you probably already figured out, this is a wonderful group of folks, different from any other on the wild world of the internet. I have no doubt that you'll make plenty of new friends as we all have. Again, a warm welcome to you. :icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Bruce to NCWW and NC Heaven. We have a lot in common. I'm another scroller and mini turner. I came to NC Heaven from Poughkeepsie almost 17 years ago.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Bruce!:icon_thum

Looking forward to your input to the forums and possibly seeing some pictures of your work.

Post often and stay safe around those power tools.

Wayne

kmcardle

New User
Kevin
Hi Bruce - Welcome to the NCWW. I am just a little NW of you on Hwy 10 and Zion Church Rd (south of Mt. View). I too came from a much colder climate (MN) and have found the NC foot-hills to be welcoming and enjoyable. I hope to get to meet you one of these days, as it would seem we're almost neighbors.
Kevin

Dragon

New User
David
Welcome to the site Bruce. I'm near you in Lincolnton, very close to Maiden. Let me know if you need any wood. I'm always cutting down something interesting. I work mostly with stumps and logs and usually wind up with plenty of cutoffs that I don't use.
Ambrosia_Maple_stock.JPG

SANY0474.JPG

M

McRabbet

Great to have you join us out in the open, Bruce. I'm another snowbelt transfer (Rochester, but left there in '68) who loves the great state of NC. We've been here for 24 years, the last 5 of which are in the beautiful mountains where the air is pure and the people are super! We know you'll enjoy NCWW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS