New Member in Chatham County

Status
Not open for further replies.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Hi! I am Amy Dowden. I have been in the Raleigh area since I attended NC State in 1990. I have a Materials Science and Engineering degree and worked as a Metallurgist for three years in R&D. I then went back to State for a teaching degree and fell in love with my first woodworking class while getting a tech education minor. Since then I have been inheriting my father-in-law's hand-me-down equipment when he upgrades.

I have been doing hobby woodworking for about eight years, and now I am considering starting a custom business. I have two young girls so my time is somewhat limited, but what free time I have, I choose to be woodworking. We are in the process of building a workshop, and I am so excited about not having to work out of half of a garage.

I am so excited to have stumbled upon this forum. I have already enjoyed many postings and pictures.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Thanks Amy! It is great to hear from you! as you have acknowledged, this is a great forum! Welcome, and enjoy!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Amy, welcome to NCWW. I am glad you stumbled across us and elected to join us here. I believe you will find your time spent here both informative and enjoyable. We have a great bunch of folks here to answer questions, offer advice and even offer assistance when needed. We would love to see some pix of your shop you are building as well as any projects you have completed.

D L

Last edited:

b4man

New User
Barbara
Welcome Amy! I know you will enjoy being here and there is so much information and help available for the asking. I look forward to your input and progress on your new shop.

Barbara

clowman

Clay Lowman
Welcome to the site Amy. I started NC State in 1990 as well! In the engineering/computer side of campus. I'm glad you found us! Be sure you give us loads of pictures of your work.

M

McRabbet

Welcome aboard, Amy -- hope you find the NCWW forums fun and informative -- we've got lots of talented people and really enjoy exchanging ideas and project accomplishments. Enjoy!

Rob

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Amy,

Welcome to the NCWW. Always great to meet a fellow woodworker.

Have you requested a photo album yet? All you have to do is select Help Desk from the floating toolbar on the left of the screen and then select Request Photo Album from the pop up menu. We'd love to see photos of the shop as it's being built... and, of course, of any projects you'd like to share with us.

Again, welcome.

Ray

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Welcome Amy!
I'm glad to hear that SOMEBODY graduated from from the Mat Sci program at NCSU - I sure didn't! I started in fall '01 as a research assistant under Dr. Kingon and Dr. Davis' thermo class made me decide that the Mat Sci PhD program was the wrong path for me:roll:
I'll echo everyone elses comments about what a great site this is. For a novice like me, this site offers a great alternative to learning by trial and error.
Don't forget about the chat room! Almost every day there are some of us in there at lunch time (somewhere between 12-1). Feel free to drop in and say hi.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Amy,
Welcome!! You will have a great time here; it is a great bunch of people. We have a tendancey to be a bit silly at times, but trust me when it comes to woodworking its all business. There are masters here (not saying your not one) that we can learn from (I’m deff not master class compared to these people). The pleasure is all ours that you came to our little place on the web. We love pictures of work and of family so feel free to get a photo gallery if you don’t have one already. Happy saw dust making and god bless friend.

dozer

Mike
Hi Amy and welcome to the site you will find a lot of friendly and very helpful people on here. I look forward to seeing some pics of your work and of course the shop in progress.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome Amy!

Hope you enjoy the site as much as we do :-D
Diversity abounds . . . skill levels (I'm currently below the rating system:lol:), interests, and personalities. Together they make an amazing resource of sharing and good humor :mrgreen:

Roger

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Hi Amy and welcome. Anyone with NCSU backgound has to be ALL RIGHT. Don't forget that Triangle Woodworkers meets at Klingspor's Woodworking Shop on third Tue of the month at 7:30 PM. Our programs a varied and interesting (We don't do the "show the video routine.") If you are starting out in the woodworking business and want to make a small fortune, just start with a large fortune. Works every time! Be sure to keep an eye posted for tools on local Craigslist. Bargins are there to be had.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Thanks so much for all the welcomes. I am interested in attending the TWA meetings. Where is the location of the woodworking shop that you mentioned? Thanks for the information.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Klingspor's Woodworkers Store off of Capital Bvd. on the left-hand side coming from the belt-line. In the same parking area as J.C. Woodmasters :roll: and Buffalo Bros. where we get together before the meeting for food, beverages and good conversations. Hope to see you there.
Dave:)

Last edited:

timsparents

New User
Roger Goldman
Welcome Amy -
As a relative newcomer myself I have already found terrific fellowship witht he folks at this site. There seems to be a spiritual connection between all of us who take joy and satisfaction out of making things, and creating sawdust. Hope you have many hours of successful and pleasurable woodworking.
Roger

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
DaveO said:
Klingspor's Woodworkers Store off of Capital Bvd. on the right-hand side coming from the belt-line. In the same parking area as J.C. Woodmasters :roll: and Buffalo Bros. where we get together before the meeting for food, beverages and good conversations. Hope to see you there.
Dave:)
Dave, put your hands in front of you, palms down, with the thumbs extended at right angles to the fingers. Now which hand forms a "L" That is your LEFT hand. Klingspor's is on the (now look at your hands) left side of Capital coming from beltline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS