New member - Durham, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan757

New User
Ryan
New member here -

Name's Ryan...I live in Durham, NC pretty near Brier Creek if you know the area.

Not sure what exactly I can say about myself here other than I joined at the referral of another internet friend and am happy to see a great, relatively local group.

I'm young...just 28...and just recently bought my first home with my wife. My main purpose in getting (back) in to woodworking is functional...building some built-ins, bookcases, shelves, etc. I don't have any designs on being a fine woodsmith (and fear I wouldn't have the patience to do so even if I did...)

I am 100% in learning-mode here...hoping to get some tips on techniques and tricks that will help me along the way. I am probably 40% into my major project (a huge "built-in" style wall unit for a game room) and am to date making do just fine with my basic tools (Circular saw, straight edge, router, and a couple of sawhorses)

My biggest accomplishment to date was building a 2-level shelving system and sweater/bookshelf in our walk-in closet, replacing the crappy ventilated wire stuff the builder included. Considering the last thing I built was in 8th grade woodshop, I was pretty happy with the results.

My biggest frustration to date is not having the tools to do what I REALLY need to do...it's tough to, for example, get consistent length cross-cuts without a table saw...it was fun trying to cut a case miter with just a beveled circular saw...and let's not even talk yet about trying to find maple lumber to use as trim on my cabinets...you mean Lowe's doesn't carry S4S hard maple boards in 10 foot lengths??? COME ON!!!!!

Hope that doesn't sound too bitter - this really has been a VERY fun journey to me...learning how to do some of this stuff...it's a great feeling and I am hoping that I can learn more here (and if anyone has suggestions on how/where I might best go about getting straight, flat maple for my face frames and trim, I just might give you a hug....and maybe not ;)

Anyway, hello all, happy to be here!

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Hello, Ryan! Welcome to our little playpen.

There are lots of helpful folks on here who are always willing to help.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your work, new home, family, anything. As you probably already know, we love pictures!!!:gar-La;

Ryan757

New User
Ryan
Ah yes, photos - forgot about those!

Here is Ryan's first before/after project...completed with a circular saw, a level, and a drill...that's about it.

Before
IMG_8136.jpg

After (Sort of)
IMG_8252.jpg

IMG_8253.jpg

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Welcome to the show Ryan! It's always nice to meet new members, especially those of us in age on this side of "the hill" :gar-Bi Nice job on the closet makeover. I'm sure that scored you some major points with your better half! Don't worry about your collection of tools. The enablers on this site will have you hooked in no time. It's a great group of folks to learn from and share with.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Nice project!

If you are here for more than 30 seconds, you will feel right at home. I don't know any of us who feels they has enough tools!

If you are looking for some training, I highly recommend the woodworking class at Durham Tech. I've done it twice. Nice access to a full power tool shop.

You don't sound bitter, just ready for more tools. If you want bitter, check out the thread on Lowes plywood destroying two Woodworker II saw blades. Ouch.

Jim

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome to NCWWer, Ryan!
And nice job on the shelving :icon_thum
I'm sure they will be appreciated, perhaps merit some new tools :wink_smil

Roger

Ryan757

New User
Ryan
Welcome to NCWWer, Ryan!
And nice job on the shelving :icon_thum
I'm sure they will be appreciated, perhaps merit some new tools :wink_smil

Roger

Indeed, thus the router :)

This is the model for my current project...slightly more ambitious
PanBonus3.jpg

gritz

New User
Robert
You came to the right place.
These folks can not only give you advice on the technical side, but also advice on how the appreciation engendered by your projects can "justify" those new tools.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Ryan!!!

Great job on the shelving!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Keep an eye out on our classifieds and I am sure that you will score some great deals and have a shop outfitted in no time.:wsmile: With a project like the one in your model, I can see lot's of justification.

Have fun here and post often.

Wayne

M

McRabbet

Hello again, Ryan -- glad you joined us and know you'll get all the info you need right here.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Ryan, I am glad you could join us. I look forward to your input in the forums and hopefully seeing some more pics of your work. If you ever need anything just holler, we ain't too far away.

Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
Welcome! Great job on the closet and have fun with the family room makeover! There are a lot of people here that are more than willing to give you some pointers and probably even lend a hand!

dmann

New User
David
That looks like the bonus room from one of the Shea Homes houses at Brightleaf. My wife and I live near Brier Creek too and she made me a deal - I could have the basement of that home for a workshop if she could have that bonus room for her library and knitting room. Now I just need a job that pays 3X what I make now to afford it - no sweat!

Well welcome to the board, I have been registered for a few months but have just recently had time to start browsing and replying on the forums. Hope to see more of your projects soon.

-Dave

This is the model for my current project...slightly more ambitious
PanBonus3.jpg

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Ryan. :eek:ccasion1 Nice job on the shelves. This is a great group of folks. There really isn't anything you can't learn to do with the help of the people on here and lots of them are in your area. Looking forward to your input here and hopefully meeting up sometime. :icon_thum

Cheers, (from another youngster :rotflm:) :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Also: If you're looking for better wood, DON'T go to Lowes or HD. Go to one of the local sawyers or to Klingspor or Woodcraft. Someone is always making a lumber run on here, so just look out for them and get in on them. :icon_thum

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard Ryan, dig in and kick up some saw dust.

Don't worry about being short on :tool:s there's plenty of enablers around that can help you part with your money so watch your wallet. :gar-La;

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS