New Lathe, HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I recently got a new lathe (General 16018-2) and am just getting started. The center of the lathe hits me at chest height. This seems very high to me and very uncomfortable. It would seem that the correct height of the centerline would be at about the elbow. Any and all advice would be appreciated and of great help. I have been purposfully holding off so that I do not develop too many bad habits from the beginning. If you were just getting started turning, how would you go about learning? Thanks in advance for your wisdom.:BangHead:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I recently got a new lathe (General 16018-2) and am just getting started. The center of the lathe hits me at chest height. This seems very high to me and very uncomfortable. It would seem that the correct height of the centerline would be at about the elbow. Any and all advice would be appreciated and of great help. I have been purposfully holding off so that I do not develop too many bad habits from the beginning. If you were just getting started turning, how would you go about learning? Thanks in advance for your wisdom.:BangHead:

I am in agreement with the centerline height to be about elbow height. Did you remove all the crating from underneath? Chest high seems awfully high. I would certainly want a comfortable position to begin learning. After accomplishing that------ read, ask, play with the lathe. To quote one of the all time turners, (Rudy Osolnik) "if you want to be good at the lathe you have to stand at the lathe":icon_thum

Jerry

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Here is a picture of the lathe; the specs are: swing - 18", gap - 21", between centers - 38", VS 500-3000, floor to center - 44". As you can see. there is no adjustment for center height. When I am standing with my forearms parallel to the floor, the height is 37". Looks like a 7" platform may be my next project. Reminds me of my first job in my dad's restaurant; cashier. I was 13 years old and had to stand on two stacked wooden Coke Cola crates to reach the cash register to make change. Anyone know where I could get two Coke crates?

Attachments

• for sale 041.jpg
    for sale 041.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 150

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dino, the problem is that you got too big of a lathe. I'll trade you my HF lathe, it would be just the right height (I had to add riser blocks to bring up to where it is right for me @ 6'3"). Either that or a stool will be in your future:lol::lol::lol:
I wish I had your problems :icon_thum

Dave:)

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Standing on a platform can be very dangerous - trouble comes when you forget you are on it, then turn around and fall off. I would cut a hole in that nice wooden floor instead, say about 4-6" deep. :lol:

It would also make a nice place for all the cuttings to go...

skeeter

New User
Charles
Dino, I would have to think about building a platform.

As far as the learning part, check around to see if there a turning club in the Myrtle Beach area. Maybe there is one listed in the yellow pages or perhaps your woodworking supplier would know. I know there is one here in Wilmington, and I've heard that they are very helpful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS