New lathe coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My parents let me know that they have got me the HF 34706 lathe for Xmas. We will pick it up Saturday if the local HF has it in stock (I'll have pics then) :eusa_danc :eusa_danc
Any recommendations for a good low-ish cost chuck for it (1" x 8tpi head). I'll also have to get new drive and live centers because my current lathe is #1 MT, as well as a new pen mandrel, drill chuck, etc. 8-O
Any other advice from 34706 owners would be also appreciated.
Dave:)

Also any HF coupons out now?????

J

jeff...

I got dibs on your old one that is if you want to sell it, I'm first to respond, finally :lol:

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Congratulations Dave
I have the CSC2000c chuck from pennstate and I like it. And I just picked up this screw and expandable chuck for small work. Just my $.02

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Grats Dave! I got a Vicmar clone from grizzly. I believe it was about $90, no complaints, but I haven't used it all that much. For pens, I would recommend you getting 60 degree tail stock, I got mine from Tom, at WC. I like my mandrel I got from Arizonia Silhouette ($16.50).

Hope this helps.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I got dibs on your old one that is if you want to sell it, I'm first to respond, finally :lol:

Jeff....I would love to sell it to you, BUT it has family significance and I will have to keep it until my FIL shop spontaneously grows larger :roll: and he has room to store it. It was his father's lathe. Sorry.
Dave

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Sorry Dave, I should have said, a 60 degree Live center for your tailstock. I tend to call the whole thing that tailstock. Here's an example.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Congrats Dave.

One thing to check is the height. I needed to raise mine about 7" to bring the spindle centers up to my elbows. I put riser blacks under the four mounting points between the lathe and the stand rather than raise the stand. I did this after it was assembled. It would have been much easier to do it during assembly. If you get up this way before you assemble it, give a shout and stop by and see how I did the riser blocks. Other than that it has been a good lathe for me (so far). I'm sure that if some $$$$ ever come this way, I will trade up to something bigger and heavier but for now it is serving it's purpose.

You could also see the Penn State chuck I use for bottle stoppers and see how you like it.

George

J

jeff...

Jeff....I would love to sell it to you, BUT it has family significance and I will have to keep it until my FIL shop spontaneously grows larger :roll: and he has room to store it. It was his father's lathe. Sorry.
Dave

So I finally the first to respond and it's not for sale - The story of my life.

Congats on the new there Dave and understand about it being in the family

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ho Ho Ho DaveO! Congrats for now, but suckage pending pixs :lol:

You already have the turning chisels. So I figure the ski lift to the downhill slope will only be another $500 :mrgreen:

Roger

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Congradulations Dave----------I know you will enjoy using the lathe. Lots of playtime ahead I think!!!:eusa_danc

Jerry

dozer

Mike
Pens, Bowls, Lidded boxes, Plates, and Platers Dave is definitely going to be hooked on turning now. We will have to start calling him DaveO(aka peachy) the turning machine :-D

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Congrats Dave.

One thing to check is the height. I needed to raise mine about 7" to bring the spindle centers up to my elbows. I put riser blacks under the four mounting points between the lathe and the stand rather than raise the stand. I did this after it was assembled. It would have been much easier to do it during assembly. If you get up this way before you assemble it, give a shout and stop by and see how I did the riser blocks. Other than that it has been a good lathe for me (so far). I'm sure that if some $$$$ ever come this way, I will trade up to something bigger and heavier but for now it is serving it's purpose.

You could also see the Penn State chuck I use for bottle stoppers and see how you like it.

George

Thanks George, that is some helpful info. I was wondering about height, my current lathe is very low, and I have wanted to raise it. I wasn't sure as to the best way to lift the lathe, but blocks under the lathe itself sound more stable than ones inder the legs.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave,
I was wondering what features your new lathe has that your old one does not?

5" more swing over the bed, new bearing vs. 60 yr. old worn out bearings, more weight, standard tapers and head stock thread sizes, variable speed (that works), larger tool rest that is also straight across the top (mine is dished from heavy use), an extra 1/4 HP, head that rotates for outboard turning, tailstock and banjo adjustments that don't take a wrench (and multiple turns), just to name a few things :-D :-D :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS