New Kitchen Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
It is not quite done yet but I thought you might like a picture or two. My kitchen was site built and is OK but plain white and not terribly functional. I have not decided to build a new one yet but I did make an island. Construction is like a dresser, no metal slides, wood on wood. Drawers are dovetail (half-blind with a HF jig) front and back. Drawer fronts are figured cherry from the place near the Charlotte airport. Interior is 3/4 baltic birch, drawers are 1/2 baltic birch. I made some shoe moulding today but haven't installed it (finish is drying). I installed the shoe moulding and took a few more pictures.
100_0112.jpg
100_0113.jpg
NewFront8x6.jpg
100_0110.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Beautiful work :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I love the figure in the Cherry. What did you finish it with? Figured Cherry is even more prone to blotching than regular Cherry. That curl looks like what you would expect in soft Maple, nice and tight :icon_thum

Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Great job on the island, Jim!:eusa_danc That's some beautiful Cherry.

LOML wants a new/bigger island to replace our old one. I've been making excuses to avoid it. Now that you have built one, how 'bout build one for me:rolf:...

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Very nice, and you will love the functionality of an Island. It makes the tasks in the kitchen flow better. Also like the wood choice.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I couldn't remember the name the place by the airport is now (Wurth). I picked thorugh the cherry to find the two boards that the drawer fronts came from. $5/bd ft seemed good to me. The top drawer fronts are from a board that had obviously been around awhile (it was darker than the others). The grain was crazy and there was a spike knot (now on the inside of a drawer) and checks. I filled the checks with fine sawdust from my sander and then put on a coat of Resisthane to lock it in. That is my normal way of dealing with imperfections.

Anybody know if Wurth has thicker stock? All I saw was 4/4, planed to 13/16. The previous ownership also had thicker stock but it was unplanned. I did not need thick stuff for this project but I expect to need some in the future.

Finish is also Resisthane. All except the drawer backs have three coats, not counting the initial coat to the drawer fronts to lock in the sawdust filler. These three coats were applied by spray with my Wagner conversion gun. Drawer backs got two brushed coats. The drawer sides, bottoms, and mating parts of the cabinet have a coat of Johnsons paste wax to smooth up the drawers.

Thanks for the kind words.

Jim

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wonderful work, Jim!!!! That cherry has a figure that I can't say I have ever seen!!!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Great design and am sure will be very functional as well as purdy!!!

Well Done!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Wayne

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Gorgeous! The cherry is spectacular! You will have to take another picture in about a year and post it so we can all see the difference!

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
:icon_thumGreat Fantastic job.
Luv the look of that figured Cherry.
You have done real well on the design of that Island.
You should feel very proud. I know I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS