New guy out on the coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlp2147

New User
Mike
Hello all,
Just wanted to stop by and introduce myself. I'm a guy with a renewed interest in woodworking, specifically furniture in the Arts and Craftsman style. I haven't touched any woodworking project in my 16 years of service in the Marine Corps but hopefully that will be changing here in the near future. Looking to start off with a couple of bed side tables for my wife and I.

I look forward to learning all I can from you folks.

Thanks,
Mike

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Welcome fellow Coaster. You'll find a lot inspiration here. Arts and Craftsman are my favorite styles too. Jim

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Mike!:icon_thum

Glad to hear that you are ready to make some more sawdust and grind out some nice Craftsman style pieces after such a long while of being away from it. Don't forget to post some pictures of your completed works for us to see.:wsmile:

Thanks so much for your service!

Looking forward to reading your future posts.

Wayne

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome Mike. Glad you found us here. Thanks for your service. Happy to hear that you're back on the woodworking habit :icon_thum

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Thanks for your service and welcome.There's plenty of fine folks here and a bunch of knowledge,somebody here said something about liking photos.
Tony

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site, Mike. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'm glad to hear that you're getting back into woodworking. Looking forward to seeing your work and thank you very much for your service. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

skeeter

New User
Charles
Hey Mike and welcome to the site. Must be something in the salt air. Arts & Crftsman/Mission are also my favorites. Let me also thank you for your service.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to a great site Mike. Glad to see another furniture maker. Shaker is my favorite style, followed closely by Arts & Crafts / Mission. And like so many others have already said, we sincerely appreciate your service to our great nation. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Bill

mlp2147

New User
Mike
Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome! I'll post pictures once I have started my project so you can see my project and steer me in the right direction so I don't veer too far off course.

Any of you Wilmington guys meet up? I'm not too far off and get to Wilmington weekly. Looking forward to hearing about places to visit in Wilmington for woodworking.

Thanks again,
Mike:eek:ccasion1

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
"Any of you Wilmington guys meet up? I'm not too far off and get to Wilmington weekly. Looking forward to hearing about places to visit in Wilmington for woodworking."

A couple of us have met up, but nothing organized yet.... Jim :wink_smil

HERIJOBR

New User
RICK
Welcome to the site!!! There is alot of nice folks here and tons of woodworking knowledge!!!!:wsmile:

mlp2147

New User
Mike
"
A couple of us have met up, but nothing organized yet.... Jim :wink_smil
Jim, let me know if you all decide to meet up.

Can you point me in the direction of a local hardwood source? ( Not sure if it is allowed in open forum or not. If not send me a PM) I don't have a shop of my own, so for the time being I'll be using the wood hobby shop on base.

Mike:eek:ccasion1

striker

New User
Stephen
Mike,

Welcome to the forum. Up top there is a "woodworking in NC" tab.....under it you'll find the lumber suppliers by area in NC. If you have something specific in mind, just post it and I'm sure someone can direct you to it.

Stephen

mlp2147

New User
Mike
Mike,

Welcome to the forum. Up top there is a "woodworking in NC" tab.....under it you'll find the lumber suppliers by area in NC. If you have something specific in mind, just post it and I'm sure someone can direct you to it.

Stephen

Stephen,
Thanks for the heads up. I looked at that yesterday but only saw a couple from the zone 4 area. I didn't know if there were any others that may not have been listed in that area.

Thanks,
Mike

striker

New User
Stephen
Mike,

Locally, I have gotten material from:

Cape Fear Heart Pine - great source for pine and cypress river wood.

Fitzgerald Wood Products (wholesaler) - Mahogany and imports mostly. Their website is behind the times - they are located off Market street now.

If you're looking for just a few bd ft. don't bother with either of these places. Not sure what their minimums are but they typically sell in quantity only.

Otherwise, I buy per project and usually end up traveling or having material shipped.

mlp2147

New User
Mike
Mike,

Locally, I have gotten material from:

Cape Fear Heart Pine - great source for pine and cypress river wood.

Fitzgerald Wood Products (wholesaler) - Mahogany and imports mostly. Their website is behind the times - they are located off Market street now.

If you're looking for just a few bd ft. don't bother with either of these places. Not sure what their minimums are but they typically sell in quantity only.

Otherwise, I buy per project and usually end up traveling or having material shipped.

Striker,
Thanks for the excellent info. I will most likely be buying by the project as storage is an issue for me.

Thanks,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors