New guy from Winston-Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Anderson Jr

New User
James
Hey everyone, I recently came across this wonderful site when searching for woodworking related stuff. I am new to fine woodworking, however, for several years I worked as a carpenter performing home remodeling for Taylor Building in Charlotte, NC. I learned alot while working with them; I did everything from rough framing to installing hardwood flooring, to finishing sheetrock. Pretty much if it wasn't electrical, mechanical, or masonry I have had the opportunity to take part in it. During one slow summer, I even had the opportunity to work as a helper in our cabinet man's shop. That was an amazing experience.

I went off to college (bandsaw in Construction Management) and met a wonderful Winston-Salem gal, Brittny, who convinced me Winston-Salem was a great place to call home.

About 2-1/2 years ago I traded my tool belt for a position with the Forsyth County Construction Management Division. I have found that I miss the feeling of taking what appears to most as a pile of random materials and turning it into a finished product. Hence me taking interest in fine woodworking.

The apartment life isn't very conducive to this hobby. Luckily, her Grandma's companion has a modest shop space with a few tools that I am welcome to use whenever I like.

My wife has already tasked me with making her a serving tray out of red oak, finished with a rich cherry stain. I hope to get started on it soon.

-James

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site James. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I actually started off in woodworking and later got into construction (still do woodworking of course). In my opinion, having to very precise when doing fine woodworking makes construction seem like a walk in the park. Anyway, you've found a wonderful group of folks here and we're very happy to have you. :icon_thum

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Welcome James
I am in Clemmons if you need something shot me a PM. Looking forward to seeing your projects

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome James, I am glad you could join us. I look forward to your input in the forums.
See you around!!

Dave:)

TedAS

New User
Ted
Welcome James.
I'm just south of Winston, remember if you need anything give a shout. If you haven't noticed we like to see pictures!:icon_cheers

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome James!
We are so obsessed with woodworking we turn Bachelor of Science degrees into Bandsaws:gar-La;. (gotta be careful with those abbreviations)

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Welcome James!
We are so obsessed with woodworking we turn Bachelor of Science degrees into Bandsaws:gar-La;. (gotta be careful with those abbreviations)

Well of course we do, we are wood workers aren't we? B S could mean nothing else but BandSaw

Welcome James

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Welcome to Winston-Salem and Welcome to the NCWW group. Both are great places to be.
Hope to meet you around town one day.

Mark

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Welcome, James. You'll like this bunch. There is a lot of knowledge and good advice available here. I have availed myself of it many times. :icon_thum

TracyP in Salisbury hosts a "get together" from time to time in a WS restaurant. Be a good time and way to meet several NCWW members.

Again, welcome!
:wsmile:

b4man

New User
Barbara
Hey there James!

It's great to have another Triad member here! Don't let a little thing like space restrictions bother you. Soon you'll be among the tool addicts here and expanding your domicile will be inevitable: gar-La;

Barbara

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi James.

Welcome. Glad you decided to join in. As you probably know, we love photos here... of projects, shops, tools, and serving trays. We'd love to see the end product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS