New from virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

efr

New User
Bob
I'm Bob, fresh in from Williamsburg, VA. I retired a dozen years ago and got on a boat and went cruising for eight years. When I filled the boat with my orchid collection I had to got back to land.

I came back to being a dirt dweller and I found that a rental property that I owned had been destroyed by the last renters so I moved in and remodeled it. That was about a three year job.

When I finished remodeling, I started looking around for something to do next I found an ad for a wood lathe - old 12 x 40 Sears model with a tube bed. I sort of just looked at it for the first year then I started to read a few books and watch videos on YouTube. Pretty soon a tree fell down in the back yard and the next think I knew, I was making a lot of chips and shavings - free wood! Then I made a few round sticks - you know, beads and coves. Then one of them even turned out to be a spoon so I tried a bowl - opps! Back to spoons! Anyway, I am having fun and I would guess that I probably have two or three tons of chips left in that tree.

Bob

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site, Bob. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'm glad that you're enjoying "the Darkside" (turning) as much as many of us do. You've found a wonderful group of folks here. It's great that you could join us. :icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Bob!

How about showing us some pictures of your turnings? We love pictures 'round here.:wsmile:

Lots of great folks around here to share in your woodworking enthusiasm, answer tough questions and provide any inspiration you may need.

Have fun and stay safe around those spinny things.:wsmile:

Wayne

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome Bob. No matter which direction your woodworking interest take you, you'll find a few kindred spirits on this great site.

Bill

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bob, welcome to the NCWW family. We have a few other members in the Tide Water area. You can search for them under the Community tab.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Hello Bob! Your totem must be the beaver - you love the water and come on shore to gnaw wood! D'ar!

Last edited:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Glad you found us! Welcome to the site.
Shame about your rental property; glad you were able to rework it!
turning is a dark and slippery slope. Don't give up on bowls or hollow forms either.
You mentioned a true favorite wood of many of us - FREE WOOD!
I've spent inane dollars on blanks, and never had anything come out as nicely as some of my own free wood ventures. Its all good. Some is just better~

efr

New User
Bob
Except for the pile of sawdust, ain't much to show but, unaccoustomed as I am .... I uploaded a few pictures of my practice work in the photo gallery.

Thanks for all the kind welcomes!

Bob

09woodie22

New User
Gabe
I'm a new fellow from Virginia, but from southern portion of state. Welcome and hope we meet some time at one of these gatherings! I'm just looking at midi lathes for purchasing purposes, but can't decide. Too many choices!!! Latest thought is Jet 12-20VS... but who knows? Perhaps you have a place to learn the basics? You said UTube?

Yes, post pictures!!!

efr

New User
Bob
I have not found a club or mentor in the Williamsburg area but I am working through the Richard Raffan's books and the are wonderful. He also has a couple of videos on the Net and YouTube has a bunch.

I just proudly handed my wife my second successful 6" bowl and she liked it (what else could she say?), but asked quite seriously, why we needed two nut bowls when we never serve nuts?

I posted a few pics in my photo gallery to show my sawdust and some of the "beads & coves" sticks.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS