New from Fayetteville

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
I'm a new member from Fayetteville. I always had tools to build things (Decks, Porch Railings, house repairs, flooring...ect) but never woodworking tools. Was heavy into woodworking through High School in the early 80's (man I feel old.....Ashamed to say I saw Twisted Sister in concert). Learned how to do different joints, carving (not good at carving), turning, marquetry,ect.. and always wanted to get back into it but never had the space or the money for the tools. Now I have the money and the space (8X12 shed I built with an 12awg extension cord run across the yard from the house and a shop light and utility heater). My dust collection system is a small shopvac my late Dad gave me. I built the shed to store my riding mower and now it's back out in the weather (At least I've got my priorities straight). So far I've loaded up on a planer, jointer, table saw, drill press, band saw, scroll saw, circular saw, jig saw, clamps, squares, chisels, router and table, Ryobi edge/drum sander (this thing is awesome), and a miter saw. Everything is portable and fits on shelves I built in my shed. I pull tools out as I need them and work on saw horses with plywood to make a work table, indoors on cold nights and outdoors when it's nice (I'm envious of people with actual workshops). When I move in a couple of years, I'll build a workshop and upgrade some tools. Once I get going heavy, I'll post some pics. Would like to find some wood nearby, preferrebly walnut, cherry, and different types of maple. I would also like buy a decent lathe that I can carry from inside to outside....any suggestions? Would like to make some coffee and end table legs, and sectional and solid plates and bowls, but don't know what size or power lathe to get. Looking forward to getting to know and learn from all of you.

Scott

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Welcome Scott! There are several members in your area who can advise you on sources for wood. Mac, (skysharks) should be able to help you out. :wsmile:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Scott, you sound like a lot of us starting off.
I look forward to your input in the forums.
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, Scott -- we think you'll find lots of great info here and super folks as well. Happy you found us and I am sure that some of our members in your backyard will fill you in on all the good sources of local lumber.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Welcome to NCWW! :banana: :banana: I live in Lillington but work in Fayetteville, the best of both worlds!!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Welcome to the group! There is a sawyer in the Hope Mills/Rockfish area, though honestly I have never gotten any thing from him, so I can't speak to the quality of his product.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Welcome Scott. You should find all the help that you need right here. Watch out for the BigDog:dontknow: he likes to buy up all the wood, and that Reggie guy well he's just good peopl:thumbs_up.
Drop me a line and we can talk about wood:eek:ccasion1

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Scott. I can definitely relate to the small shop experience. For a while, I worked in an 8x12 storage room on the bottom floor of a house I lived in at the beach. Even had one wall taken up by a surfboard rack and every time it rained really hard it flooded in there. :BangHead:

Anyway, it's great to have you here. Mac is a great guy and should be able to help you find what you need. :icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Scott!:icon_cheers

Sounds like you are well equipped to turn out some nice projects. You have all of the basics. Now, how about making some sawdust and sharing some pictures of your work with us.

Lot's of great folks here to lend a helping hand and ear to any issues you may run into.

As far as a lathe is concerned, I would keep my eye out for a used midi lathe. That should be portable enough and large enough to turn some of the small stuff you had mentioned.

I look forward to reading your future posts and by all means stay safe around those power tools!

Wayne

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome Scott. I have been down that road too. Current shop is 24x24 and not half big enough. I have a Jet mini lathe that I absolutely love, but you are limited to smaller turning projects. So far, it meets my needs, but I'd really like a real grownup lathe, if there is ever enough room for one. i currently have a Delta shaper boarding in the neighbor's shop. Can't wait to get that big boy home. Once the sawdust gets in your blood, its a hard affliction to shake.:saw:

Dragon

New User
David
I'm a new member from Fayetteville. I always had tools to build things (Decks, Porch Railings, house repairs, flooring...ect) but never woodworking tools. Was heavy into woodworking through High School in the early 80's (man I feel old.....Ashamed to say I saw Twisted Sister in concert). Scott

A mere child. Woodshop in high school in the 80's huh? Well, my fisrt year in high school was 1970 and I was in woodshop and agriculture for the next 4 years. (Some people say if I hadn't taken ag. class, I would have any "culture" at all.):dontknow:

Welcome to the dust bin. Lots of great talent here for you to mine and learn from. Now, bring me all those tools 'fore you get hurt with 'em. :gar-La;

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Everything is portable and fits on shelves I built in my shed. I pull tools out as I need them and work on saw horses with plywood to make a work table, indoors on cold nights and outdoors when it's nice (I'm envious of people with actual workshops). When I move in a couple of years, I'll build a workshop and upgrade some tools.

Scott

Welcome Scott! I spent 10 years in a town house in a very similar situation (except I didn't have quite as many cool tools!). Had a little utility closet and a bunch of bench top tools. Wasn't perfect but it got the job done. Very glad to have you!

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS