new bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehpoole

Ethan
I missed out on the 18" rikon but still have a don't at a 14" rikon for $625 if that is still a good deal.

I'm not an expert on used pricing, but if it is the model 10-325 (13" resaw capacity and 1-1/2HP motor) then its current retail price is about $950, with the occassional sale about 10-15% less. So, if it is the 10-325 (and not the lesser 14" model with less resaw capacity) then $625 is reasonable (though I would see if they might not take a bit less first) if the saw is in mint condition. A little surface rust on the cast iron is not a deal breaker, it just requires a little extra elbow grease to polish.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Looking but I don't see the powermatic

Kevin.

I think that this is the Powermatic that Bruce was referring to.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/2608420501.html

Powermatic 14" ban saw, 1 1/2 HP, new condition - only used twice - cost $1,000, will sell for $650

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
3mb3p13o05Q35W15X1b9k563e88c279c41e82.jpg
3m13p53l65Z35W55R4b9k1629b7d37c6c1a17.jpg

PostingID: 2608420501

HTH

Wayne

kclark

New User
Kevin
Thanks
I finally found it and have sent email finding out what the model # is and if I could possibly pick it up tomorrow. It is about a 5 hour round trip for me.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks
I finally found it and have sent email finding out what the model # is and if I could possibly pick it up tomorrow. It is about a 5 hour round trip for me.

Great!!!

Good luck. That is one nice looking BS.:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Wayne

kclark

New User
Kevin
Since I lost out on the Powermatic, I took a trip to Woodcraft this morning and was impressed by the Rikon 10-325. More than what I want to spend, but I think I will be going for it. They had a manager's special on it for $899, but I called Klingspor in Hickory and they have it all the time for $899. The guy on the phone asked if I was in a hurry for it and I said no. He said I would save at least $100 if I would wait until the woodworkers extravaganza on October 21 & 22. I will still keep my eyes open though.

kclark

New User
Kevin
Still looking at the Rikon 10-325, but had a discussion today with someone who sells bandsaws, note they don't sell Rikon, but deal with the Sales Reps on other machines, he said I wouldn't be happy with it. I would be happier with a shopfox w/ riser block. Don't know. What does the group think?

terry1166

New User
Terry
Don't know why someone would tell you that you would be unhappy with the Rikon 10-325 saw. I have have mine for 2 years and am extremely pleased with it. I've had no problem re-sawing anything I've put in it using a 3 tooth per inch 1/2" blade. I know of several people who have the 10-325 and the 18" Rikon saw and all are pleased with them. Several of these moved up to the 18" after owning and being well pleased with the 14" saw. Plus, as someone else mentioned, Rikon has great customer service people if you need advice or help of any kind.

Terry

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I have the Grizzly G0513X2 and I am happy with it. It is a little more than your budget. Can't beat Craigslist for good deals.

pboro

New User
Bob
My 2cents: I've used 14" bandsaws & have a 16" Jet that I really like. reasons:

You may not want resaw capability now, but I'd imagine that you'll want it some time later. Maybe you run across a large piece of wood or you want to capitalize on a nicely figured wood- the flexibility is a big advantage.
The mechanics of the saw are important too. For example, I prefer systems where the blade is guided by bearings vs blocks. A larger saw is beefier to handle the higher tension needed for wider blades (+1") and provides a more stable platform- especially nice when cutting long pieces.
So unless you're just planning on solely small part construction (not furniture) I'd look for a nice (probably used) saw over 14".

ehpoole

Ethan
Still looking at the Rikon 10-325, but had a discussion today with someone who sells bandsaws, note they don't sell Rikon, but deal with the Sales Reps on other machines, he said I wouldn't be happy with it. I would be happier with a shopfox w/ riser block. Don't know. What does the group think?

I think this is clearly a case of "I don't sell it, therefore I don't have it to sell, therefore it sucks and you don't want it but rather you'll be really happy with what I do happen to sell" mentality.

I have the 18" Rikon (10-345) and there are countless users with the Deluxe 14" (10-325) model. I have seen countless rave reviews from owners of these saws and few, if any (I honestly can't recall any, but I'm sure there are a few) negative reviews from those who own either of these models -- nor in any of the professional reviews. As for their after-sales tech support, I have dealt with them on one minor issue and to order consumables (such as spare guide bearings) and have been nothing less than impressed. They will happily talk you through the breakdown of your entire saw, piece by piece, if you ask them and have the time. Their tech department is small, so sometimes they have to call you back while they finish assisting another customer, but never have they not returned my call within a very reasonable time frame (usually under 30min).

If you were to purchase either of these models (10-325 or 10-345) and walk away unsatisfied you would be the first person to my knowledge. This is not to say that you would not necessarily be equally, or possibly even more, satisfied with the Shop Fox or other manufacturer. I can't make that call since I am unfamiliar with the Shop Fox models, but I do have first hand knowledge of the Rikon models. When I was hunting for bandsaws my decision came down to either a 19" Grizzly or the 18" Rikon (which is just a 1/4" shy of 19") with the Rikon winning out partly because I could purchase it, as well as blades, locally from my nearby Woodcraft.

I really wish sales people would learn to sell their merchandise on its merits rather than engage in, quite often, unprofessional disparagement of their competitors. If they want to comment that you would be unhappy with another model, that is fine, but then they should be able to back that up with an honest apples-to-apples rundown of what aspects of the competing model are inferior -- as well as what aspects of THEIR model are inferior -- in addition to what aspects of each model are superior to one another, something that few such salesmen have the ability to do these days since it requires honest and intimate first-hand knowledge of each.

During the brief period, in my earlier years, where I did sales (the pay was lousy, but I considered it good experience) I rarely ever told a customer that they would be unhappy with another model, rather I would tell them that they'd be happier with the model I was recommending and then followed that up with the list of additional features/capabilities afforded by the model I was recommending and what it would end up costing them if they went with the lesser solution and had to upgrade six months later (I mostly sold computer and laptop equipment). I was never afraid to tell a customer that they should buy a competitor's merchandise if it was in fact a better solution for them and/or at a much better price, though I would remind them that I would not be there to provide support for the competitor's merchandise. FWIW, this predated the Internet by several years, so you were often on your own for support since there was no Google or online Knowledgebases back then.

Please know that I am not trying to sell you on the Rikons over any other manufacturer, though I am certainly a fan. As I have said before, what matters is that you buy the right bandsaw for YOUR needs and expectations and that is, frankly, ALL that matters!

I have had a Rikon 18" saw for 2 years. While I am generally happy with it, it is not an "industrial class" saw, nor would you expect it to be for the price. My biggest complaint is that the guides are finicky to set. I just purchased a used Agazzani 20" saw and the guides are a much better design (no tools needed). It also has a motor brake as well as the standard foot brake. As to capacity and horsepower, the Rikon has plenty.

kclark

New User
Kevin

Let me rephrase what I said. The person who sells bandsaws told me that he has been told by several buyers of the Rikon that they regretted it not that I would regret it. And for $150 more I could by a 17" 2HP ShopFox rather that the 14" 1 1/2HP Rikon and the ShopFox carries a 2 year warranty. He didn't say I would be happier with the 14" shopfox but I could get a lot more in the 17" shopfox for $150 more.

ehpoole

Ethan
I have had a Rikon 18" saw for 2 years. While I am generally happy with it, it is not an "industrial class" saw, nor would you expect it to be for the price. My biggest complaint is that the guides are finicky to set. I just purchased a used Agazzani 20" saw and the guides are a much better design (no tools needed). It also has a motor brake as well as the standard foot brake. As to capacity and horsepower, the Rikon has plenty.

FWIW, this is a fair criticism of the Rikons (and many other economy bandsaws with non-toolless guides). I find that using an allen T-wrench (available from Sears and elsewhere, 6 or 8MM IIRC) really makes the process considerably easier than using the standard OEM allen wrenches. For a non-production workshop I feel the extra minute or so spent adjusting the bearings is a fair trade for the price and features of the Rikon and the advantages of bearing guides (without having to shell out several hundred dollars for aftermarket bearing guides).

It does take the Rikon longer to spin down since it lacks a blade brake, though from a hobbyist perspective it still comes to a stop faster than I'm prepared to move on to the next step. I have considered adding dynamic braking (simple DC-Injection) to my bandsaw (you basically just inject a DC current into the motor for a few seconds after power-down to counteract the inertia in the cast iron bandsaw wheels). Such a modification would provide the same frictional element as the mechanical braking systems but without the added mechanical wear components.

My suggested improvements:
I modified the lower rear guide (by adding a a flat washer, split washer, and another flat washer to remove all free play and provide positive friction to prevent drift after setup) to be toolless so that the only lower guide bearings that require a tool to adjust are the left-and-right bearing guides -- I made the same modification to the belt tensioner to remove a rattle due to free play. I also removed the two black covers over the lower left-and-right guide bearings because it obstructs the view of the bearings more than it funnels the air IMHO, this makes adjusting the lower side bearings much more straightforward.. The topside guides are easy enough since they are in full view and the longer T-wrench provides leverage to quickly slide them back and forth while also making it easy to tighten them down without moving the bearing since your twisting action is inline with the bolt rather than offset like a typical L-shaped allen wrench (this makes it much less likely that you'll push or pull the bearing out of place during tightening).

I love my 18" Rikon 10-345, but I would never discourage anyone who wanted to pursue some of the wonderful Italian bandsaw models available. Just be prepared for deep pockets or exceptional patience while waiting for the perfect used model to come along at an insanely low price (they don't depreciate a whole lot, so you need a naive -- or extremely desperate -- seller).

Edit: If you choose to purchase allen T-wrenches I suggest ball-ended allen T-wrenches. They are much less finicky to insert and remove and don't require any insertion forces that might move the bearing out of position.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS