New, adventurous woodworker in Wilmington

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian_hunt

New User
Brian
Hi,

My name is Brian Hunt and I'm just starting to learn how to build furniture, ect. I've built other things before (e.g. sheds, homebrew bookshelves, ect.) but never fine woodworkings. My wife is expecting in December, and I'm in the first stages of building a cherry crib and changing table (below) for our first child (it's a girl!). Not to brag, but the wife has been very understanding of the many tool purchases in my quest to form this new hobby. What do you guys think? Awesome crib? Am I in over my head? I'm planning to take pictures/video along the way and I plan to post on the site.

ManhattanNursery_0.jpg
ManhattanNursery_0.jpg

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Welcome, Brian. Although the crib may present some challenges for the beginning woodworker, time and determination should be able to overcome any obstacles. If you are building furniture, cabinets, and other stuff for your home, friends, and family, justification of tool purchases is a no brainer, as the money saved is far in excess of the cost of tools. Following the first explanation of this fact to your wife, I would then refuse to ever discuss it again. :wink_smil A surprise gift (that you have of course made) every so often helps to silence any objections which may arise. By playing this hand correctly, it may be the only area where a husband has the final say. Don't blow it.:eusa_naug

Best of luck o the project, and we look forward to some progress photos and the completed piece.

Matt

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Brian to NCWW. Sounds like you have some serious work ahead but if yoy take your time and pay attention to detail I am sure you will be successful.

Their is another cost factor. Most of us get relaxation, enjoyment and satisfaction doing WW. That can be priceless.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Howdy and welcome to a great and informative site.Just ask questions and they will be answered.Tony

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, Brian -- looks like you've got an ambitious project, but you'll find that it is just a series of steps to take -- that new daughter will have challenges in taking her first steps too, but she won't quit until she gets it, will she? We're here to help if you need it and welcome you to the forums. Kudos for posting a picture on your first post!

Sawdust Denny

New User
Denny
Welcome Brian, I am fairly new to this site myself. You will find there are many experienced woodworkers willing to provide their knowledge along your journey. Have fun and don't forget safety plays a very important role. :tool:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Brian!:icon_thum

1st......Congratulations on the new arrival.

Already, I can see that she is a lucky little gal to have a pop who would build her such a nice set of furniture.!!!:wsmile::wsmile::wsmile:

Also, you are fortunate that the LOYL also sees the value in the tool investment.

Hope to see plenty of posts and progress pictures from you in the future.

Stay safe around those new power tools and if you ever in a jam there is a bunch of folks right here to offer suggestions!

Take care....

Wayne

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Greetings Brian, glad to have you with us!

Congrats on the upcoming addition to your family! And for the new baby too.

I was referring to new tools of course :)

Looks like a great crib to build, keep us updated!

Jim

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome Brian and congrats on your pending arrival! It's an exciting time.
Smalll word of advice as this is your first big project...get off the computer and get busy! The finishing phase will take at least as long as the planning, cutting and construction phase. You don't need the added stress of this project hanging over your head! Good luck and be sure to share some photos as you have time.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Nah, you're not over ur head. You have already found the greatest woodworking tool you can get and that is the knowledge and experience that is available here. Take it slow and throw out any questions to the group. Someone will have dealt with whatever issues you come across and can advise how to deal with it!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome Brian, from another Wilmingtonian. :eek:ccasion1 That crib looks like a mighty ambitious first project, but you can do it. I'd say that a good bandsaw would help you out a ton. To do those curves, you're either going to have to cut them out or bend the wood, via steam or bent lamination. I've always wanted to try that. :rolleyes: Anyway, there are some great members in our area. (Skeeter, Jim M, Splinter, Striker and Mike). This is a VERY helpful and great group of folks that you've found here. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know. I'm getting married in a week and am going to be in the mountains for a few days after the wedding, but should have much more free time after that. :swoon: :gar-La;

Congrats on the upcoming addition to your family!!! :icon_thum

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Welcome Brian!
I think you've chosen a great first project. Don't be afraid to ask questions or PM anyone around here for help. Jim

BTW...Shop pics always make us happy:icon_thum

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Welcome to the site and also congrats on the new expected baby. That is a beautiful crib and other furniture. May be a little challenging for a beginning project, but that's how you learn by challenging yourself. A lot of us here on the site can help you with any questions or problems you might have. My only advice is you better get cookin' if you're going to have both of those ready by December.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Welcome Brian and congrats on the new addition to the family - Looking forward to seeing your work:icon_thum

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like another poem is in order here:

Welcome, young man to our fine WWing site
It seems a crib to build you might
Exert yourself for child and wife
Yea, that's the way to avoid family strife
For efforts made are of twofold pleasure
The first of the work, then the fruits to treasure

Now you plan and plot these pieces to build
And Hopefully joy will be your to yield
But ne'er forget these words I pen
For in them you'll find happiness within
It takes fools like me to write a poem
But you'll need love to make a home.

And in the effort you exert I see
Of that there's no shortage - good luck to thee.:icon_thum

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Welcome Brian,

And congrats on the new expected Baby. We had our first last Dec.... He was Due Christmas and he came 5 days late, just in time to get the tax break~! :gar-La;

Good luck to your new adventures as a woodworker. Take you time, think things through and your projects will come out just fine and if not you'll have some really nice looking firewood~! :gar-La;

Sincerely,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors