Need source to ID wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I'll admit, wood identification is not my strong suit. I'm "okay" at the more common species, especially if they're planed and jointed, and I can get a good look at the grain and color. But when I come to a species I don't use that often, or one that's still rough or weathered, I struggle. From experience and lots of reading over the years, I've come to believe that the best way to positively identify wood is through analysis of the end grain. Preferably w/ a magnifying glass and good light.

Having said that, here's my question: What reference source (e.g. book, web site, samples, etc.) do you use to help you in this process? I've looked at several books that provide some help, but haven't decided which one to purchase yet. Here are the two I'm leaning toward: The Woodbook, and Identifying Wood by Bruce Hoadley. If you have/use either one of these, please give me your thoughts, positive or negative.

OR, do you know of a web site w/ good color photos of end grain? I've found a couple of sites that are fair, but not exactly what I need.

Thanks for your help, thoughts, comments. After 40+ years at this, I'm still trying to learn something. :eusa_thin

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The Book of DaveO is a great source.

Now if I could just keep that book in my shop as a reference anytime I need it. :rotflm: But you're right Scott, there are lots of folks on here who are really good at identifying wood, and I read their post carefully. But I'd like to have a reference close at hand. Besides, I like looking at the purddy pictures. :gar-La;

Bill

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
The most complete online reference I've found is Hobbit House. I count 772 species listed, most with a complete page of up-close photos of variations, different grains, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS