Need help turning table into a bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I posted this question several days ago asking how to take an existing table base and its legs and make the base higher so it can be used as a bar. The completed project needs to have room for four barstools to slip underneath and out of the way. This is a project I would like to do for my son. His kitchen is very small. I have posted two pics on my gallery if someone would move them to this post I would appreciate the help. Lorraine:-D

What I am thinking is to make four corner blocks, glue them with dowels inserted along with a rabbet for the apron to slide into. The apron would have a strip of wood on the tabletop side to allow for screws to attach the top. what do you think?

Click on thumbnails:

Last edited by a moderator:

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Lorraine,
What is your final desired top height?
I ask because my first instinct is to completely replace the legs. If you just add a piece between the skirt and top #1 I think it would look a little goofy and #2 I think it would be a knee-knocker every time you sit there on a taller stool.
You could look on the internet for some already turned legs. Or, you could replace the legs with some cut-to-size square stock. Or if you have (or know someone who has) a long enough lathe, you could turn them however you want. I've always wanted to try turning some long legs like that!
Paint them to match and you're all set. Then if he ever wants to return the table to the original height, he's still got the short legs too.

DavidF

New User
David
lwhughes149 said:
What I am thinking is to make four corner blocks, glue them with dowels inserted along with a rabbet for the apron to slide into. The apron would have a strip of wood on the tabletop side to allow for screws to attach the top. what do you think?

Click on thumbnails:
How about cutting off the existing aprons flush with the leg, that will leave you a plugged mortise that can be smoothed filled and painted IE you just have 4 legs but short. Make 4 square posts of the length that you need to increase the height by. Cut some slots with the router in two faces of each block for loose tenon joinery to the aprons. Attach the new blocks to the top of the existing legs with dowels as you described. Trim a fraction off the end of each apron and cut the slots for the loose tenon and assemble into the new corner blocks, the table will only be a fraction smaller than before, Attach the top to the aprons with figure 8's and voila! a taller table having only made 4 new corner blocks.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
wwk211_2ca_e.jpg

Maybe something like this.

M

McRabbet

DavidF said:
How about cutting off the existing aprons flush with the leg, that will leave you a plugged mortise that can be smoothed filled and painted IE you just have 4 legs but short. Make 4 square posts of the length that you need to increase the height by. Cut some slots with the router in two faces of each block for loose tenon joinery to the aprons. Attach the new blocks to the top of the existing legs with dowels as you described. Trim a fraction off the end of each apron and cut the slots for the loose tenon and assemble into the new corner blocks, the table will only be a fraction smaller than before, Attach the top to the aprons with figure 8's and voila! a taller table having only made 4 new corner blocks.
Good suggestion David. She could also still use the Face Frame holes to attach the table to the smaller sized apron since they are still there.

Rob

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Actually, and I may be wrong about this, most of the (store bought) tables that I've ever assembled have no mortise and tennon between the leg and apron. It's solely held in place by the two lag bolts running from the diagonal skirt brace to the corner of the leg. They're built that way for ease of disassembly and shipping. That's why I suggested longer replacement legs, there's no M&T work to do and anything square can be lag bolted in there.
Maybe Lorraine could confirm/refute this.

Kinda like this with the apron and leg butted together.
PIC00127.jpg

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Chris is correct. His picture is perfect. This is what I am trying. I am making four blocks about 8" long, will drill hole in each and glue then to the end of the legs. Paint to match the legs and take it back to Kevin. That will give him something to use while I finish my chest. After the chest is completed I will make him on out of cherry, red oak or walnut, his choice. See any problems with adding that block? I can make the bar and learn mortise and tensons. Lorraine I like all the suggestions though.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I'm still not exactly sure that I'm getting you 100%. You're gluing an 8" block to the top of the existing leg. Where is the mortise and tennon?
What I hear you describe sounds more to me like you're doweling them together.
If you wanted to get fancy, you could even turn the blocks to break up the shape a little bit and echo the existing lines on the legs. Leaving the top few inches square of course to mate against the apron.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Chris, look up into the post and you will see pics of the table legs. I am making blocks that I will drill a hole into and insert the block into the bottom of the legs. I will glue them in place. This is a temp solution until I can finish my in progress chest. I will then make him a bar from scratch. Mortise and tenons will be something I can learn when I make the new project for him. It is difficult to do two project at one time, my shop is 20 x 20. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I am so busy with the challenges for the chest that I can't seem to get serious about starting something else from scratch. Lorraine

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Just wanted to say thanks to all for the good suggestions and let you know what I finally did to the table. I made four blocks the same size as the four corner blocks at the top of the tableleg. Drilled a hole in the center of the blocks and glued and braded the legs in place. The glue is setting tonight and the table will be in use tomorrow morning. Family happy at this point. They have instructions to pick out the bar stools with the future bar in mind, cherry, walnut or red oak. Thanks again. Lorraine:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS