Need Help on Finishing Red Oak

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolman

New User
Chad
I am refinishing my mother oak kitchen table and chairs. I have stripped the old finish off and resanded the wood. Do I finish it with Polyurethane? Do I need to stain first or nt at all? Or do I use Polycrylic? Or would Lacquer be better? :eusa_doh:
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Polyurethane is going to give you the most durable finish for a kitchen/eating environment. Polyacrylic is good also, but not as resistant to household cleaning chemicals that you would use in a kitchen.
To stain or not really depends on what you want the finished product to look like...stained Oak or not. :-D Polyurethane will give a slight amber/yellow hue, Polyacrylic is almost water clear.
IMO Lacquer is best sprayed, if your set up for that you can get a great and durable finish that way. If not stick with stuff that brushes/wipes well.
MTCW,
Dave

toolman

New User
Chad
Thanks DaveO:

I was goto to go with the Polyurethane, but I wanted to run it by the North Carolina Woodworker to see if my plans were right. :-D [STRIKE]But it looks like you was the only North Carolina Woodworker that would help[/STRIKE]. :-( Getting some good help Thanks..:icon_thum

Thanks Dave :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I would go with the polyurethane finish on a kitchen table and chairs, strictly because of the high usage. Staining is a personal choice, one reason would be to make evrything match. IMO

Good Luck,

Jimmy:)

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Thanks DaveO:

I was goto to go with the Polyurethane, but I wanted to run it by the NCWW to see if my plans were right. :-D But it looks like you was the only NCWW that would help. :-(

Thanks Dave :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

I like to go with the 3 part mixture of BLO, mineral spitits and urethane. It is dummy proof (the reason I use it). Wipe it on-------wipe off the excess before it gets tacky, let it set for 24 hours, lightly sand by hand with 220 or higher, apply another coat. Keep doing that cycle until you see the depth of finish you want.:)

Jerry

toolman

New User
Chad
I would go with the polyurethane finish on a kitchen table and chairs, strictly because of the high usage. Staining is a personal choice, one reason would be to make evrything match. IMO

Good Luck,

Jimmy:)

You have a good point on the stain, didn't thank of that...:BangHead: :slap:

Thank Jimmy

toolman

New User
Chad
Thanks for the info Jerry!! I believe I will do a test too see which I like. Thank you!! :-D:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS