Need guinea pigs,, er test subjects

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
OK, I am trying a different chat system and could use some people to try it, particularly those with Explorer, FireFox, Chrome and even a Mac person or two!
I will be in ther chat room watching intently for the next half hour or so at the link below and maybe more time later in the day depending on how this goes.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/nwwguildchat.html

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I am hearing that but only from certain parts of the country. Others are getting in fine.
I don't have a clue what that is about.
I'm going to sit on the room for a while to see if this error clears up. I am hopoing it is something on the Internet that is shutting some areas out.

Tom

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
In jusxt the last few minutes I have heard from south Africa, England, Austrailia and Kannapolis, NC, all who are or were on my site within the last few minutes., two in the new chat room. I'm afraid I somehow hit the discriminate against parts of NC button someplace!

this is very weird.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Well here's the problem:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Of course it helps if you speak either nonsense or Microsoft!

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
This is getting more and more strange, and I suspect nothing to do with the chat page...
Hopefully this will go away on it's own as others are getting in fine. Myabe it is a local thing in different localities... Is that possible?

Tom

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Server Error in '/' Application.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

or:
[/FONT]

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
From my Mac

Source Error:

The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

or:

2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your application:

<configuration>
<system.web>
<compilation debug="true"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.

Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a memory/performance overhead. You should make sure that an application has debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
XIGLA.ShoutBox.ShoutBox.addmessage(String msg) +1182
ASP.shoutnet_shoutbox_aspx.setnick() +123
ASP.shoutnet_shoutbox_aspx.page_load() +241
System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.ArglessFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o) +8
System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +8667923
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3074; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3601

FYI the rest of the site loads fine...

mxracer

New User
Dan
Well here's the problem:

Of course it helps if you speak either nonsense or Microsoft!

What does THAT mean!!!
Yikes. sounds terrible

In a nutshell it means that a piece of the code is trying to use a variable (object) that hasn't properly been "created" (instantiated).

Tom, if you "own" the code for the site and you want help with it let me know. You are now in "my world" and would be happy to lend a hand.

With the info that Mike Davis posted and the source I'm sure I could track it down pretty quick. I'll also say that it will never go away on it's own. There is some bad code there and some users are going down the "happy path" so to speak and some are hitting this erroneous code. Have no idea at this point what the trigger is for users hitting this code vs others but it will never fix itself unfortunately it will take a developer.

Dan

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Server Error in '/' Application.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif] Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Not working in Eastern Carolina either

Ernie

Source Error:

or:

2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your application:

<configuration>[/FONT]

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
The access part of the problem is pretty well fixed in most parts of the country now I believe, at least my email and Support contacts are coming in from all over regularly now.
I also have made some progress ont he Chat deal so I will hang around there until about 4PM if anyone wants to drop by and give it a whirl - again...

http://www.newwoodworker.com/nwwguildchat.html

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
In a nutshell it means that a piece of the code is trying to use a variable (object) that hasn't properly been "created" (instantiated).

Tom, if you "own" the code for the site and you want help with it let me know. You are now in "my world" and would be happy to lend a hand.

With the info that Mike Davis posted and the source I'm sure I could track it down pretty quick. I'll also say that it will never go away on it's own. There is some bad code there and some users are going down the "happy path" so to speak and some are hitting this erroneous code. Have no idea at this point what the trigger is for users hitting this code vs others but it will never fix itself unfortunately it will take a developer.

Dan
Dan,

Thanks for the offer and beware that you might regret that before this is all over....
I belive I have found the issue, or a big part of it so for now I'll do the test thing. so far it looks to be much beter anyway.
Stay tuned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS