Need a source for some Welding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
I am looking to find someone who can build me a couple of tool rests for my lathe. They would need a 1 1/8" post and a 1 1/2" by 3/8 bar. I just don't want to pay the high prices to buy some out of the box solution online; I'd rather pay someone local a fair price for thier work.

If anyone is interested, send me a PM. If this works out, I need couple of machine dolly's build too.

Thanks,

nelsone

New User
Ed
Don't have a welding source for you, but here's what I'm going to try. I will get some peices of steel rod that will fit the banjo and drill and tap a 3/8 hole in the end. cut a piece of angle steel to the appropriate length and drill and counter sink in the middle and screw the pieces together. Don't know whether t will work or not, but I'll be able to interchange whatever length of rest I want!

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Don't have a welding source for you, but here's what I'm going to try. I will get some peices of steel rod that will fit the banjo and drill and tap a 3/8 hole in the end. cut a piece of angle steel to the appropriate length and drill and counter sink in the middle and screw the pieces together. Don't know whether t will work or not, but I'll be able to interchange whatever length of rest I want!

If you look at the factory tool rests, you will see they are beveled to allow holding the lathe knife at the correct angle. From what you said, I see a piece of angle xamount wide at a right angle to the post. Is that your intention? If so, you might consider a round "rest" instead of angle and be able to tilt the lathe knife and still have it solid on the rest. Just MHO.

Jerry

tdhetrick

New User
Todd Hetrick
David

I would be more than willing to trade some welding for some wood.:) I am not a professional welder, but I’m sure I could weld a tool rest or a machine dolly. I also have a good source for metal, not to mention all the stuff I have on hand.

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS