Narrow Belt Sander for Knife Sharpening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm trying to talk myself out of spending a lot of money on a Tormek and have pretty much decided to go with the bench grinder mounting attachment and a fine Norton 3X stone on my bench grinder. The shortcomings of this is giving up the knife sharpening advantages of the Tormek. Stumbled on this topic in a few Knife Sharpening discussions. Is anybody using a 1 or 2 inch belt sander with fine abrasives or a leather belt as a power stropper? The HF 1 X 30 sander gets lots of coverage as well as the Kalamazoo units. I remember a while back seeing a write up somewhere in which a fellow mounted the HF sander on its back and used it so the belt turned away from the edge. Anyone remember that? Talk to me.

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREokC4MPM0]

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes.

Look up trugrit.com

307EA Trizact Aluminum Oxide structured on a JE weight flexible rayon/cloth backed resin bond. Features a grinding aid for cooler grinding. This belt leaves a very nice uniform finish. Available in grits 180 - 2000

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I've sharpened knives, chisels, etc for years using a belt and disc sander (pre Tormek). Granted the Tormek is much more precise, but the belt sander really gets the job done.

You can also purchase special knife sharpening wheels for a plain old bench grinder, and they really work well. Typically you put a grit wheel on one side of the grinder, and a strop wheel on the other.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
I've got the harbour freight 1x30 and am planning a kmg clone. Belt sander is great, but convexing with wet/dry and leather doesn't take that long either. I also have an Edge Pro, DMT XX through EF, Shapton glass from 220 - 16000, cerium oxide, chromium oxide, diamond sprays, natural stones, etc. But really, wet/dry sand paper followed by mothers mag and aluminum on paper over leather gets most knives sharper than any of my friends have ever seen....

But yeah, I do like the belt sander :)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a friend who has me over to sharpen her knives once a year, I don't know how they get by without doing it more often. By the time I get to them they are so dull you can pull it across your arm hard and it won't cut your skin.

Usually take me a couple hours to get them kinda sharp enough to get by.

Well, this year I took my Grizz 1 x 30 and a couple 3M 320 and 600 grit belts. I had the whole pile shaving sharp in less than 20 minutes and mean a pile of kitchen knives. There were four 10 inch chef knives, a dozen various smaller chef knives, twenty steak knives and a couple long bread knives that had to be sharpened with a small diamond rod.

Oh, and her husband brought out his pocket knives for good measure. :rotflm:

I actually had fun this time with the belt sander, it was no work at all. If I had a small generator I would go to craft fairs, flea markets and street corners and make a good living sharpening knives for 50 cents a piece. :elvis:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I got the knife/scissor add on for my WorkSharp 2000 which is basically a small belt sander and I am very pleased with that. The WorkSharp is more than the cheap belt sanders, but way less than a Tormek.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Mark, let me know when you get set up. I'd like to stop by and see how it works. I need to upgrade my knife sharpening methods and skills!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS