MY NJ Walnut

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Well, you never know what you'll run into. I received a random email from a woman in NJ asking about a walnut tree and what to do with it besides cut it up for firewood. She had an outstanding tree that was over 32" in diameter and very clear of branches. I knew it would be great lumber. She started talking about her neighbors 4 trees and I started calling freight companies. She got me photos of her neighbor's trees and I decided to pass on them. Knowing shipping wouldn't be practical for one trees worth of walnut I started checking and found that the woman is about 3 hrs north of my hometown in VA. So, on July 22nd I got get my walnut. It was sawed yesterday and I am the happy new owner of 600 bdft of 8/4 walnut. :) Here is a pic of the smaller boards from the logs. I should get pics today of the big ones. :) The sawer had a fairly small mill so he couldn't slab the logs. :(

walnutNJ.jpg

The price was right. The sawyer charged a minimum charge of $300 and I paid the nice folks $200 for the tree and lumber handling during the sawing operation. With gas I should be right at $1.00 a bdft. :)

This should be enough for 9-10 rockers in the future. :)

Thanks,

John

Last edited:

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
Nice haul John.

YOU SUCK:slap:

(I missed commenting on the BS and Moak):-o

Monty

New User
Monty
I don't know... that stuff doesn't look any good. Color looks kinda funny. And there's all that yellow stuff on the edge of that one board. I don't think it's that good of a deal. :eusa_snoo

(dang it! why do I miss out on deals like this?!?!?)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great looking wood haul John. That will make some nice looking rockers or occasional chairs in the future.

D L

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I don't know John. It doesn't look quite right. I'll take it off your hands at $0.50/bf though...

Seriously, nice score!:icon_thum

Oh, i almost forgot the requisite "You Suck!":lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
So did you go get the log from the lady and have it sawn locally?? Beautiful looking wood, and you can't beat the price :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
DaveO said:
So did you go get the log from the lady and have it sawn locally?? Beautiful looking wood, and you can't beat the price :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

She cut the tree down and we both worked to get the sawyer there. It was off her land. The wood is sitting up in NJ waiting on me. :)

Monty

New User
Monty
hmmm.... where EXACTLY in NJ is it waiting? I don't believe you mentioned that... :jealous:

J

jeff...

Great looking walnut Woodguy - I really like to see folks get nice looking lumber for a great price. What you did is what I used to do before I got my mill. Free or next to nothing trees and pay a sawyer to slice it up. I know of no other way to get a bunch of lumber for next to nothing.

Monty

New User
Monty
24" ?!?!?!? Hmmm.... looks like you'll be needing to upgrade to a bigger jointer soon! :lol: And planer!

hehehe... maybe that walnut will cost you more than you think!!!

woodguy1975

New User
John
Monty said:
24" ?!?!?!? Hmmm.... looks like you'll be needing to upgrade to a bigger jointer soon! :lol: And planer!

hehehe... maybe that walnut will cost you more than you think!!!

Heheheheheheheheh!!!!!!!!!

The sawyer wanted to buy it for me. He said that this walnut would bring $12/bdft up there. :D

woodguy1975

New User
John
JohnsonMBrandon said:
Yep get that 16" jointer refurbed, and then its time for an upgrade..........just for the walnut of course! :eusa_danc

Let me know if you find an old 24" jointer then. :p

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Cutter head guard removed for clarity and proper take-off and landing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's great :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS