MY NJ Walnut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis

New User
Travis
So why did I buy black walnut for your class when you have plenty. LOL Way to save a tree. :icon_thum

woodguy1975

New User
John
cskipper said:
Yeah, it's been several days now. Can we see some pictures???

Ok.... Ok.... Ok.... I'll take a pic of the stack tonight. :) I didn't think a stack of lumber would be all that interesting to look at. LOL

woodguy1975

New User
John
jeff... said:
I still want to see some pics, how about you guys?

Here are the pics by request...

The widest board is just over 24". The narrowest board is 11" with a good number of them right on 15".

walnutstacked1_original.jpg

walnutstacked2_original.jpg

J

jeff...

Great sticker job, good support near the ends, good even spacing, good pressure with the ratchet straps, high off the ground and good little roof over it.

Check the tension on those straps periodically and retighten as needed when lumber starts to shrink. You should have some good flat boards when it dries. Noticed a little end grain checking, some Ancorseal applied right after the logs are cut to length will help with that next time.

Looking good there :icon_thum

woodguy1975

New User
John
jeff... said:
Great sticker job, good support near the ends, good even spacing, good pressure with the ratchet straps, high off the ground and good little roof over it.

Check the tension on those straps periodically and retighten as needed when lumber starts to shrink. You should have some good flat boards when it dries. Noticed a little end grain checking, some Ancorseal applied right after the logs are cut to length will help with that next time.

Looking good there :icon_thum

Thanks Jeff,

With those wide boards they started cracking almost immediately. I coated the ends after trimming very well with the ancoreseal and even poured a little in any cracks that were already there.

I was a little dissappointed that I had a couple layers that were longer, but I figured stickering to the shortest board is probably the best. I would have like to have 4 more straps so each sticker had pressure, but with the 4x4 cauls I didn't figure there would be a problem.

Now I've just got to get the jointer done so I can move on to the kiln. :)

J

jeff...

Kinda hard to apply Ancorseal in time when you didn't cut the logs to length isn't it? About the only thing you could have done which you already done was to trim a little off the ends of each board and apply ancorseal. But once the end grain splitting starts theres no much you can do and ancorseal is much less effective applied this late in the game. Just hope it doesn't work it's way through the entire length of the board(s). Ancorseal works best if applied as soon as the tree is cut down and the logs are cut to length. I know I'm saying what you already know. So why am I saying it? :eusa_thin

You got a good looking pile of lumber, glad you got it and the tree didn' go to the landfill or a fireplace. See now that tree will be a nice piece of furniture which makes everyone happy:icon_thum TREECYCLE just makes sense :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS