MY NJ Walnut

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
That is awsome!!!!!!!:rolf:

Now who is going to help me move it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brandon is an automatic volunteer. :D

DavidF

New User
David
woodguy1975 said:
:rolf::rolf::rolf:

and..... I broke the 1000 post mark. :D

It just goes to show the level of posting these days! I hit 1000 this week and nobody noticed:crybaby2: I guess 3000 is the new target:lol: :lol:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Chris, another fabulous "Photochop" job! :lol:

And kudos to youse 1000+ posters :eusa_clap
John and David merit recognition for the quality and quantity of their posts. :eusa_danc

Of course, you two would have made it sooner if you had not taken those extended tropical cruises ;-)

Pretty scary, when NC folks have to get their wood in New Jersey 8-O

Roger

J

jeff...

sapwood said:
Pretty scary, when NC folks have to get their wood in New Jersey 8-O

Roger

Yeah your right, that's just down right scarry! I really think he should drop all of it off at my place on his way back from Jersey. I'm only about 20 mins off of I85.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
umm.. i wonder what the push paddles look like for that thing?

Grats to the new 1k posters!

cskipper

Cathy
Chris - that was brilliant!

Congrats for the score - although I agree, the color looks off just a little bit. I'll be glad to relieve you of any you just can't seem to use.

Congrats to you and David for your posts. Thanks for all the valuable (and even the other ones :lol: ) input. I think I had to announce my 1000th post myself as a "Yahoo - I did it...." Face it, we'll never catch up with Dave. I still think he has speech recognition software so he can post and still work in his shop! :lol:

woodguy1975

New User
John
cskipper said:
Chris - that was brilliant!

Congrats for the score - although I agree, the color looks off just a little bit. I'll be glad to relieve you of any you just can't seem to use.

Congrats to you and David for your posts. Thanks for all the valuable (and even the other ones :lol: ) input. I think I had to announce my 1000th post myself as a "Yahoo - I did it...." Face it, we'll never catch up with Dave. I still think he has speech recognition software so he can post and still work in his shop! :lol:

I think you're right. :lol:

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Nice walnut. I am always game for someone going through getting their own lumber then they can appreciate us sawyers :)

woodguy1975

New User
John
I just picked up the walnut. Boy it was better than in the pics. The narrowest board was over 10" wide. Great stuff. At least 10 boards are 24-26" wide. Beautiful grain in person. Much better than in the pics.

One problem with the return trip though. We blew a tire coming back!!!!!!! That wasn't fun on the interstate in PA trying to find a replacement wheel and tire and lug wrench. I will travel with a spare and a real jack for now on I'll tell you that much. :slap: :slap:

I'll post pics of the wood and the tire later when I have them. Too wore out now. 6am...... loading lots of heavy lumber..... changing tire on interstate..... 8 hrs of driving......... I'm taking a nap.

John

woodguy1975

New User
John
JohnsonMBrandon said:
Awesome deal on the walnut, and glad you made it back safe after the ordeal.

You blow a tire in the truck or trailer?

Trailer. Split the tire in half circumferentially.

The walnut is in NC and will be stacked properly tonight. :)

J

jeff...

woodguy1975 said:
One problem with the return trip though. We blew a tire coming back!!!!!!! That wasn't fun on the interstate in PA trying to find a replacement wheel and tire and lug wrench. I will travel with a spare and a real jack for now on I'll tell you that much. :slap: :slap:

I'll post pics of the wood and the tire later when I have them. Too wore out now. 6am...... loading lots of heavy lumber..... changing tire on interstate..... 8 hrs of driving......... I'm taking a nap.

John

I hope you had a tandem axle trailer? That's one nice thing about having 4 tires, if one blows then atleast you can continue to move till you find a place to change the tire. Really looking forward to seeing the pics...

Thanks

woodguy1975

New User
John
jeff... said:
I hope you had a tandem axle trailer? That's one nice thing about having 4 tires, if one blows then atleast you can continue to move till you find a place to change the tire. Really looking forward to seeing the pics...

Thanks

It was a single axel trailer. OUCH

I'm looking at tandem axil trailers right now. :)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Well, the walnut is nicely stickered and covered in my back yard. The story is pretty well complete. I'll take a picture of the stack when I get a chance. Looking over the walnut as I was stacking it made me even more pleased. Beautiful stuff. :)

John

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm looking at tandem axil trailers right now. :)[/quote]

Lets see, how big a planer will an 8,000 lb (3,600 kg) trailer haul??:rolf:

Seriously, if you plan on heavy loads at interstate speeds, you may want to consider having an axle spindle mounted to the trailer, and keep an entire hub, bearings, wheel and tire assembly mounted on it. In my past experience repairing and rescueing trailers from the road side (most had boats on them, not prized lumber) , the most common failure was the bearings. If you get one with a bearing lubrication function on the axles, get the ones that have the grease fitting in the center of the axle shaft. They force the grease up through the inner bearing and keep forcing it until it comes out the outer bearing without blowing out the grease seal. The bearing lube wheel caps (ie "Buddy Bearing caps") usually only get sufficient grease to the outer bearing, and the inside one fails.
If you remove the wheel and clean and relube the bearings, that is the best way, but costs the price of the grease seal each time. A common mistake of may people is over-torquing the axle nut, which will cause premature bearing failure.
If the load is heavy , "D" or "E" load range tires have stiffer sidewalls and higher weight ratings.
Also, please get brakes on at least one axle, preferrably the rear. For over-the-road hauling, electric disk brakes are probably the most economical if your vehicle is already wired for them, and eliminate the need to get out and flip the lock-out lever when backing up which is required with the piston hitch, hydraulic type (which also means you have no trailer braking in reverse).

Congratulations on the wood haul, and glad you survived the trailer tire incident. Changing a tire on the interstate is bad enough, but trying to get a fully loaded trailer's axle up high enough to change one can be the thing nightmares are made of!!

Hope I didn't bore you with info you already know.

Go:lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS