My first segmented project (Yikes!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsawyer12

New User
Nate
Started a project for a co-worker of mine who just got married. Her and her new husband are both from China so I thought it would be fitting to make something with Chinese tradition.

Soooo, I have started my first segemented bowl. The segmented blank is 12 x 12 x 3 using Padauk for the characters and Ash for the filler. The symbols means "Double Happiness".

I feel like I am in over my head and hope that it comes out OK. I made 95% of the cuts on my miter saw and still have some significant gaps. Will probably be sanding the edges to true them up and make everything fit up better. I am planning on using Titebond-II glue to bond everything together.

IMG_20120530_191914.jpg

b4man

New User
Barbara
WoW!:icon_thum

It's gonna be beautiful and I'm so impressed with your sentiment toward trying to bring a little of their culture into this project. Can't wait to see more pix of your progress.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
This is going to be very interesting for sure and I can't wait to see the finished product and any other pic's along the way.

EdMorgano

New User
Ed
NSayer12,
I have a question. What you are showing in the picture is a flat blank. How are you going to make it into a round bowl? Is that going to be the bottom of the bowl, is it going to be a shallow bowl or what?

nsawyer12

New User
Nate
NSayer12,
I have a question. What you are showing in the picture is a flat blank. How are you going to make it into a round bowl? Is that going to be the bottom of the bowl, is it going to be a shallow bowl or what?

Ed,

The blank will be 12 x 12 x 3 when it is all glued together. After that I will put it on the band saw and cut it to a circular shape, then mount and turn it. Since it is only 3 inches deep, my plan is to make a shallow bowl/plate. The picture you see is what the inside of the bowl will look like.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Nate,

Is the grain all going the same direction? Just a thought. Don't want it working against itself later with wood movement.

nsawyer12

New User
Nate
Nate,

Is the grain all going the same direction? Just a thought. Don't want it working against itself later with wood movement.

Matthew,

There are a few pieces that are turned 90 degrees from the rest. I hope it won't cause me any issues, but I honestly did not think about that till you mentioned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors