My first Hammer! (GLOAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
My new Hammer A3 31 jointer/planer combo arrived Friday, and I unpacked it Saturday morning. I am glad I got the mobility kit, because I was able to make a ramp and roll it off of the pallet all by my lonesome! I did quite a bit of research and was leaning towards the Jet combo until I got a promotion at work and decided to splurge! :icon_thum I have yet to make any sawdust with it yet as I have to wire up a new 240V circuit for it, and I need to run my DC to it as well. Hopefully I will have an update on how it runs by the end of the week. Here's the pic:

IMG_20101002_151513.jpg

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
If I had a hammer, everything would look like a nail. "If I had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning."

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
grats on the hammer! I go to their site and watch the videos often.

I was wondering why you went that route as I am saving up for a jointer/planer myself and had it narrowed down to the jet with the helix head and the hammer. Seeing that you were able to wheel it off the pallet gives it another + in the hammer column, hehe.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Congrats Tim. You're going to love having that kind of jointer capacity. JET vs Hammer, it's steak vs lobster, how can you go wrong :) And congrats on the promotion!

timf67

New User
Tim

I was wondering why you went that route as I am saving up for a jointer/planer myself and had it narrowed down to the jet with the helix head and the hammer. Seeing that you were able to wheel it off the pallet gives it another + in the hammer column, hehe.

I am sure the Jet is a nice machine, and Bas always has good things to say about it. For me, I started to find out little things about the helical heads. Like there is a slight radius to the cutters which gives a slightly wavy surface. Also, the cutters are like $2 each, so to change them all out someday would be like $200 vs. about $30 for straight knives. Plus I read some reviews on the Hammer and Minimax and I was able to negotiate a good deal on the Hammer.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
cool, thanks for the info, when the time comes, hope you dont mind if I contact you to get some details to see what I can work out. I wonder if they have some sort of referral bonus too. The gap has narrowed between the Jet and the Hammer but Jet does run promotions every now and then althought the current one did not include the jjp12-sh.

timf67

New User
Tim

BTW, the mobility kit doesn't come installed so I had to install it while still on the pallet. The only tricky part was jacking up each side to put the wheels on the axel. (note the car jack on the right in the photo...) After that, I made a ramp - and was about to roll it off when I realized that the front wheels are in the middle, so I couldn't have a ramp with a gap in the middle! :eusa_doh:

IMG_20101002_144421.jpg

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Now that's just downright purty!!

Congrats!

Who would o' thought about using a Hammer to flatten boards! Let us know if the ol' maxim is true "If all else fails, get a bigger Hammer"!!

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS